Twenty-three-year-old Tracy Lawrence made news in Nashville right after he finished the vocals for Sticks and Stones, his album debut: He was shot four times in a local motel parking lot by would-be robbers. The singer recuperated after surgery, but his record shows he’s a survivor in a different way, too. Yet another of the ubiquitous hat acts making traditional honky-tonk music, Lawrence is a standout in an already crowded field. Like Alan Jackson, whom he physically resembles, Lawrence pairs a poised and confident baritone with witty and well-crafted songs that shed soft light in the dark corners of the human condition. The sensitive ballad ”Between Us,” for example, suggests it’s better to rethink a romantic commitment than simply to walk away, while ”Sticks and Stones” explores the aftermath of a broken marriage. Lawrence has a tendency to lapse into a laconic Keith Whitley impersonation (”Hope Heaven Has a Honky Tonk”), and the program suffers slightly from the exclusion of a killer song. But an otherwise & strong repertoire and sparkling production make this one of the most memorable debuts of the year. A-
Sticks & Stones Twenty-three-year-old Tracy Lawrence made news in Nashville right after he finished the vocals for Sticks and Stones, his album...Sticks & StonesPop Twenty-three-year-old Tracy Lawrence made news in Nashville right after he finished the vocals for Sticks and Stones, his album...1991-12-13
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Cher Lloyd
Posted December 13 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Will this be Hollywood's biggest box-office year ever?
- See Amy Schumer audition for 'The Real Housewives' of any city
- Edward Burns ventures into 1967 New York in 'Public Morals' trailer
- Dustin Hoffman rips the current state of movies: 'It's the worst that film has ever been'
- Stephen Colbert will be on next 'Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee'
- The Good Wife scoop: Jeffrey Dean Morgan cast as new series regular
- Sarah Jessica Parker on whether she considers herself a feminist
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!