Showstoppers, the second number of Barry Manilow’s 23rd album, a tribute to the Great White Way, is so spectacularly tasteless it gives you great hopes for the rest: Called the ”Overture of Overtures” (”based on a concept by Barry Manilow”), it offers selected notes, sometimes whole measures, from 16 — count ‘em, 16 — of your favorite Broadway overtures, including Gypsy, Candide, Funny Girl, Sweeney Todd, Evita, South Pacific, and A Chorus Line, all mashed together in one convenient 4-minute-and-11-second package. Inevitably, though, Manilow starts to sing, which means that songs as distinctive as ”Dancing in the Dark,” ”Where or When,” and ”If We Only Have Love” all sound like the same generic pop tune, thanks to the lounge-lizard arrangements and uncannily coma-like delivery that have made him the No. 1 Adult Contemporary artist in the entire history of the world. You can’t say Manilow lacks guts, though: On ”Look to the Rainbow,” he actually sings a duet with Broadway great Barbara Cook. There hasn’t been an aesthetic warp like this since John Denver put on a tux and tried to swing with Frank Sinatra. C-
Showstoppers Showstoppers, the second number of Barry Manilow's 23rd album, a tribute to the Great White Way, is so spectacularly tasteless it...ShowstoppersPop Showstoppers, the second number of Barry Manilow's 23rd album, a tribute to the Great White Way, is so spectacularly tasteless it...1992-01-17
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Barry Manilow; Producer (group): Arista
Posted January 17 1992 — 12:00 AM EST
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!