Showstoppers, the second number of Barry Manilow’s 23rd album, a tribute to the Great White Way, is so spectacularly tasteless it gives you great hopes for the rest: Called the ”Overture of Overtures” (”based on a concept by Barry Manilow”), it offers selected notes, sometimes whole measures, from 16 — count ‘em, 16 — of your favorite Broadway overtures, including Gypsy, Candide, Funny Girl, Sweeney Todd, Evita, South Pacific, and A Chorus Line, all mashed together in one convenient 4-minute-and-11-second package. Inevitably, though, Manilow starts to sing, which means that songs as distinctive as ”Dancing in the Dark,” ”Where or When,” and ”If We Only Have Love” all sound like the same generic pop tune, thanks to the lounge-lizard arrangements and uncannily coma-like delivery that have made him the No. 1 Adult Contemporary artist in the entire history of the world. You can’t say Manilow lacks guts, though: On ”Look to the Rainbow,” he actually sings a duet with Broadway great Barbara Cook. There hasn’t been an aesthetic warp like this since John Denver put on a tux and tried to swing with Frank Sinatra. C-
Showstoppers Showstoppers, the second number of Barry Manilow's 23rd album, a tribute to the Great White Way, is so spectacularly tasteless it...ShowstoppersPop Showstoppers, the second number of Barry Manilow's 23rd album, a tribute to the Great White Way, is so spectacularly tasteless it...1992-01-17
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Barry Manilow; Producer (group): Arista
Posted January 17 1992 — 12:00 AM EST
- Melissa McCarthy raps her favorite Kanye West song in 'SNL' promos
- Everything you need to know about this year's Academy Award nominees
- Slipknot frontman comments on racism in metal
- USA picks up Ryan Phillippe-starring 'Shooter' to series
- 'The Walking Dead': See the first 4 minutes of the midseason premiere
- How Sarah Wayne Callies saved Carol on 'The Walking Dead'
- Samuel L. Jackson circling role in Stephen King's 'Revival'
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday