Bewigged, buck-toothed, and drippingly Southern, Dustin Hoffman brilliantly anchors Tootsie’s farcical plot about an actor who lands a woman’s role in a hospital soap. Yet until now, Tootsie’s wide-screen imagery had been a drag to watch on video, with supporting actors constantly cropped out of ensemble shots. This letterboxed laserdisc fixes all that, restoring every wide-eyed double take Hoffman inspires in Bill Murray, Jessica Lange, Teri Garr, and Charles Durning. With the film’s color and detail also tweaked to perfection, an alternate audio track featuring droll, old-master commentary by director Sydney Pollack (The Way We Were), and a second disc devoted to live-action and still-frame documentaries about the production, Criterion dolls up an already great movie into a must-see salute. A+
Genre: Documentary, Comedy; Starring: Dustin Hoffman, Jessica Lange, Geena Davis, Charles Durning, Teri Garr, Bill Murray; Director: Sydney Pollack; Author: Larry Gelbart, Don McGuire, Murray Schisgal; Runtime (in minutes): 119; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Columbia Pictures, Criterion
Posted January 24 1992 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Mad Men' creator Matthew Weiner lines up Amazon anthology series
- Box office preview: Tom Hanks' 'Inferno' to catch fire at No. 1
- Hillary Clinton on Adele's endorsement: 'It meant a lot to me'
- 'Westworld': New photos plus episode titles give clues
- Kevin Hart to play Santa in Disney comedy 'Dashing Through the Snow'
- 'Opening Night' stars get very foul-mouthed in exclusive trailer
- WATCH: 'Stranger Things' star enters 'Charnel House' in exclusive clip
- The 16 Best Halloween Movies to Stream Right Now
- Hillary Clinton Through The Years
- 'Hamilton' Stars Go Old-School for Vintage Portraits
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers