Newcomer Joe Diffie scored four No. 1 hits on his debut, A Thousand Winding Roads, largely by sounding like his heroes, George Jones, Buck Owens, and Merle Haggard. On this follow-up, Regular Joe, Diffie has the confidence to sing in his natural voice, a supple tenor that stretches all the way to Alaska. That decision serves him well on a barn-burning set of songs celebrating the trials and the triumphs of the common man, from the scared exhilaration of new bachelorhood (the Jimmie Rodgers-flavored ”Startin’ Over Blues”) to the joys of being ”Just a Regular Joe” with the guys and a brew. The material will never be confused with thinking man’s country since it punches all the predictable thematic buttons, from family ties to dead soldiers, but surprises also abound, including Diffie’s headed-for-superstardom energy and his ability to mine a tough nugget of emotion (”Ain’t That Bad Enough,” ”Next Thing Smokin”’). Look for this former foundry worker to give Garth Brooks a hard time at the top. B+
Regular Joe Newcomer Joe Diffie scored four No. 1 hits on his debut, A Thousand Winding Roads, largely by sounding like his heroes, George Jones, Buck...Regular JoeCountry Newcomer Joe Diffie scored four No. 1 hits on his debut, A Thousand Winding Roads, largely by sounding like his heroes, George Jones, Buck...1992-02-21
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Joe Diffie
Posted February 21 1992 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Simon Cowell get emotional during an 'X Factor' audition
- Box office preview: Sleepy Labor Day to quietly close out the summer
- 'Mr. Robot' had a perfect season on Rotten Tomatoes
- First Look: See Rob Riggle as 'Gator Dan' on 'Fresh Off the Boat'
- Netflix renews 'Narcos' for season 2
- Eddie Redmayne: 'The Danish Girl' was 'an extraordinary experience'
- Meet the new Transporter: Ed Skrein has refueled the action franchise
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!