Those who have caught Kimberly Williams’ charm turn as Steve Martin’s daughter in Disney’s sleeper smash Father of the Bride might think they’re seeing double. Well, they are. Williams, 20, also plays the nervous bride in that new AT&T Calling Card commercial on TV. In the ad she has just agreed to marry a guy named Ted and is preparing to phone the news to her dad (John Roselius), who, like the movie’s Martin, is less than thrilled with her boyfriend. Young & Rubicam happened to be casting the AT&T spot when Bride opened in December, and the agency took note. But to avoid being accused of ripping off Bride by casting Williams, AT&T ”even got Disney approval beforehand,” says the company’s advertising manager, Bill Donlin. Did they consider Martin for the disgruntled dad? ”Frankly,” says Donlin, ”our budget would not have permitted that.”
Posted March 13 1992 — 12:00 AM EST
- Bob Dylan thanks Nobel Prize committee for honoring his songs as literature
- Chris Pratt says his son thinks acting is 'stupid'
- 'Assassin's Creed': Final trailer has plenty of new footage
- Louis Tomlinson debuts new song on ‘X Factor’ days after mom’s death
- 'Insidious: Chapter 4' first look sees Lin Shaye facing her demons
- 'Sherlock' intense season 4 trailer: 'I love you'
- Patti Smith covers Bob Dylan at Nobel Prize ceremony