Sir Mix-A-Lot is not a cartoon, even though with his punchy, twangy raps he sometimes sounds like a more worldly (and brawnier) Elmer Fudd shouting dance cues at a hip-hop hoedown. Yes, he made his name — and earned two gold albums — on the strength of comical tunes like his 1987 hit ”Posse on Broadway,” but he has a more serious side, evident on Mack Daddy’s lead single, ”One Time’s Got No Case.” Here, backed by a catchy guitar line (courtesy of Stevie Wonder’s ”You Haven’t Done Nothin”’), the Seattle-based rapper spins sarcastic tales of being harassed by police officers suspicious of a young black male in an expensive car. But more typical of the album (which exploded onto Billboard’s pop album chart at No. 38 the week it was released) is ”Baby Got Back,” which alternates deftly between a critique of the Cosmo/Playboy narrow-minded — and narrow-hipped — standard of female beauty and a bawdy appreciation of, er, generous rear ends. Musically, the album thunders. With the virtual absence of any treble, the bass works overtime, forced to provide both beat and melody; for the most part it delivers, though without many shifts in Mix-A-Lot’s vocal style, the album can’t hold your attention for its full 60 minutes. But who says you have to listen to the whole thing all at once? B
Mack Daddy Sir Mix-A-Lot is not a cartoon, even though with his punchy, twangy raps he sometimes sounds like a more worldly (and brawnier) Elmer Fudd shouting...Mack DaddyHip-Hop/Rap Sir Mix-A-Lot is not a cartoon, even though with his punchy, twangy raps he sometimes sounds like a more worldly (and brawnier) Elmer Fudd shouting...1992-03-13
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Lead Performer: Sir Mix-A-Lot; Producer (group): Def American, Rhyme Cartel
Posted March 13 1992 — 12:00 AM EST
- Michael Fassbender rises to power in new 'Macbeth' trailer
- Janet Jackson kicks off world tour with new song featuring Missy Elliott
- Alison Mosshart details the Dead Weather's new album
- J.K. Rowling wishes James Sirius Potter a happy first day at Hogwarts
- Robert Pattinson & Dane DeHaan recreate James Dean's famous photo
- Jimmy Kimmel breaks down the Miley Cyrus/Nicki Minaj confrontation using emojis
- New Bond author says Idris Elba is ‘too street’ to play 007
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Kendall Jenner, Jamie Dornan, Katie Holmes & More!