Sir Mix-A-Lot is not a cartoon, even though with his punchy, twangy raps he sometimes sounds like a more worldly (and brawnier) Elmer Fudd shouting dance cues at a hip-hop hoedown. Yes, he made his name — and earned two gold albums — on the strength of comical tunes like his 1987 hit ”Posse on Broadway,” but he has a more serious side, evident on Mack Daddy’s lead single, ”One Time’s Got No Case.” Here, backed by a catchy guitar line (courtesy of Stevie Wonder’s ”You Haven’t Done Nothin”’), the Seattle-based rapper spins sarcastic tales of being harassed by police officers suspicious of a young black male in an expensive car. But more typical of the album (which exploded onto Billboard’s pop album chart at No. 38 the week it was released) is ”Baby Got Back,” which alternates deftly between a critique of the Cosmo/Playboy narrow-minded — and narrow-hipped — standard of female beauty and a bawdy appreciation of, er, generous rear ends. Musically, the album thunders. With the virtual absence of any treble, the bass works overtime, forced to provide both beat and melody; for the most part it delivers, though without many shifts in Mix-A-Lot’s vocal style, the album can’t hold your attention for its full 60 minutes. But who says you have to listen to the whole thing all at once? B
Mack Daddy Sir Mix-A-Lot is not a cartoon, even though with his punchy, twangy raps he sometimes sounds like a more worldly (and brawnier) Elmer Fudd shouting...Mack DaddyHip-Hop/Rap Sir Mix-A-Lot is not a cartoon, even though with his punchy, twangy raps he sometimes sounds like a more worldly (and brawnier) Elmer Fudd shouting...1992-03-13
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Lead Performer: Sir Mix-A-Lot; Producer (group): Def American, Rhyme Cartel
Posted March 13 1992 — 12:00 AM EST
- Mark Hamill to return as The Joker for 'The Killing Joke'
- Hugh Jackman shares final ‘Wolverine’ teaser image
- Casting Net: Morgan Freeman leads up action film 'Down to a Sunless Sea'
- 'The Bachelorette': And the 'winner' is...
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing new Wild West drama series 'Untamed'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!