Disco acts make comebacks about as often as cast members of Laugh-In, but that hasn’t stopped guitarist Nile Rodgers and bassist Bernard Edwards from bringing back one of the disco era’s preeminent bands, Chic. And why not? On ’70s hits like ”Le Freak” and ”Good Times,” Edwards’ burbling bass and Rodgers’ staccato guitar merged with robo-singer vocals and swooping strings, creating a sense of high-society hedonism — buppie pop before the term existed. Nine years after their breakup, and with two new singers, Rodgers and Edwards aim to re-create the magic on Chic-ism, and nearly succeed. A few tacked-on raps are superfluous, and the title track is a throwaway bit of grandstanding. But songs like the elegant club hit ”Chic Mystique” revive the nightlife vibe — complete with real live orchestration — and make it funkier for the ’90s. If you need to play catch-up, the band’s former label, Atlantic, has finally released Dance, Dance, Dance, a long-overdue collection just in time for the band’s resurrection. The album omits everything from Chic’s later, more experimental albums, but all the hits are here, especially the full, unedited 6:45 of the impossibly seductive ”I Want Your Love.” Chic’s groove always was in the heart. Chic-ism: B+; Dance, Dance, Dance: A-
Chic-ism Disco acts make comebacks about as often as cast members of Laugh-In, but that hasn't stopped guitarist Nile Rodgers and bassist Bernard...Chic-ismPop Disco acts make comebacks about as often as cast members of Laugh-In, but that hasn't stopped guitarist Nile Rodgers and bassist Bernard...1992-03-27
Genre: Pop; Producer (group): Warner Bros.
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- 'Orphan Black' creators break down the latest twist: 'It's an interesting revelation for us'
- 'SNL': How'd Scarlett Johansson and Wiz Khalifa do?
- 'Scandal' panel: 5 best moments, season finale teases
- 'Walking Dead' actor in subway rant clip
- Celebrities who share a birthday with the new Royal Baby
- Ruth Rendell, mysteries writer, dies at 85
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': $84.5M Friday
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Kerry Washington, Plus Gwen Stefani, the Spelling-McDermott Family & More!