Disco acts make comebacks about as often as cast members of Laugh-In, but that hasn’t stopped guitarist Nile Rodgers and bassist Bernard Edwards from bringing back one of the disco era’s preeminent bands, Chic. And why not? On ’70s hits like ”Le Freak” and ”Good Times,” Edwards’ burbling bass and Rodgers’ staccato guitar merged with robo-singer vocals and swooping strings, creating a sense of high-society hedonism — buppie pop before the term existed. Nine years after their breakup, and with two new singers, Rodgers and Edwards aim to re-create the magic on Chic-ism, and nearly succeed. A few tacked-on raps are superfluous, and the title track is a throwaway bit of grandstanding. But songs like the elegant club hit ”Chic Mystique” revive the nightlife vibe — complete with real live orchestration — and make it funkier for the ’90s. If you need to play catch-up, the band’s former label, Atlantic, has finally released Dance, Dance, Dance, a long-overdue collection just in time for the band’s resurrection. The album omits everything from Chic’s later, more experimental albums, but all the hits are here, especially the full, unedited 6:45 of the impossibly seductive ”I Want Your Love.” Chic’s groove always was in the heart. Chic-ism: B+; Dance, Dance, Dance: A-
Chic-ism Disco acts make comebacks about as often as cast members of Laugh-In, but that hasn't stopped guitarist Nile Rodgers and bassist Bernard...Chic-ismPop Disco acts make comebacks about as often as cast members of Laugh-In, but that hasn't stopped guitarist Nile Rodgers and bassist Bernard...1992-03-27
Genre: Pop; Producer (group): Warner Bros.
Posted March 27 1992 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!