Disco acts make comebacks about as often as cast members of Laugh-In, but that hasn’t stopped guitarist Nile Rodgers and bassist Bernard Edwards from bringing back one of the disco era’s preeminent bands, Chic. And why not? On ’70s hits like ”Le Freak” and ”Good Times,” Edwards’ burbling bass and Rodgers’ staccato guitar merged with robo-singer vocals and swooping strings, creating a sense of high-society hedonism — buppie pop before the term existed. Nine years after their breakup, and with two new singers, Rodgers and Edwards aim to re-create the magic on Chic-ism, and nearly succeed. A few tacked-on raps are superfluous, and the title track is a throwaway bit of grandstanding. But songs like the elegant club hit ”Chic Mystique” revive the nightlife vibe — complete with real live orchestration — and make it funkier for the ’90s. If you need to play catch-up, the band’s former label, Atlantic, has finally released Dance, Dance, Dance, a long-overdue collection just in time for the band’s resurrection. The album omits everything from Chic’s later, more experimental albums, but all the hits are here, especially the full, unedited 6:45 of the impossibly seductive ”I Want Your Love.” Chic’s groove always was in the heart. Chic-ism: B+; Dance, Dance, Dance: A-
Dance, Dance, Dance: The Best of Chic Disco acts make comebacks about as often as cast members of Laugh-In, but that hasn't stopped guitarist Nile Rodgers and bassist Bernard...Dance, Dance, Dance: The Best of ChicReissues, Pop Disco acts make comebacks about as often as cast members of Laugh-In, but that hasn't stopped guitarist Nile Rodgers and bassist Bernard...1992-03-27
Genre: Reissues, Pop; Producer (group): Atlantic
Posted March 27 1992 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on why the judges 'floored' him this week
- Christina Applegate is a terrible Meryl Streep in Funny or Die's Lifetime spoof
- Wrestling legend Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka charged in 1983 murder
- Meet Denise, Kermit the Frog's new love interest
- And the Oscar producing gig goes to...
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: tWitch on Team Street's best exit
- 'Daily Show with Trevor Noah' promo previews a few changes with new host
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!