Newcomer Cleve Francis scores high on the novelty scale — he’s a cardiologist, for starters, a veritable singing doctor, and he’s black, a dark dot on country music’s traditionally white landscape. Francis will inevitably be compared with Charley Pride, the only black superstar in the genre’s history. Unlike Pride, Francis sometimes uses R&B stylings — but Tourist in Paradise resembles, more than anything else, the work of Glen Campbell in the ’70s. Everything is sunnily uplifting and overproduced, with soaring strings, horn charts that sound as if they were phoned in, and old-fashioned, let’s-cram-everything-into-it-we-can arrangements. Only four songs are notable, among them an impassioned remake of Bill Anderson’s ”The Tips of My Fingers” and Billy Dean’s ”How Can I Hold You,” a touch of melodrama in an otherwise calm emotional sea. This physician hands out a musical prescription for a clean bill of health, but too much of it is too sweet, almost like the lollipops doctors once handed out to brighten children’s visits to their offices.
Tourist in Paradise Newcomer Cleve Francis scores high on the novelty scale — he's a cardiologist, for starters, a veritable singing doctor, and he's black, a dark...Tourist in ParadiseCountry Newcomer Cleve Francis scores high on the novelty scale — he's a cardiologist, for starters, a veritable singing doctor, and he's black, a dark...1992-03-27
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Cleve Francis
Posted March 27 1992 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' trailer: Humans and Transformers face off
- George R.R. Martin on 'Winds of Winter': 'Things are getting worse'
- 'Green Hornet' star Van Williams dies at 82
- 'Baywatch' is hitting the beach on Memorial Day weekend
- Beyoncé was already a star at age 10, unearthed footage proves
- See Madonna twerk to 'Bitch I'm Madonna' on Carpool Karaoke
- 'Major League' star Margaret Whitton dies at 67
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday