Remember when the Shangri-Las and the Ronettes ruled the top 10? Well, once again there’s a mini-industry in carefully packaged and marketed all-girl vocal groups; only the sound has changed. Like two similar outfits, the Cover Girls and Seduction, En Vogue delivers flirtatious R&B set to a mechanized beat. They’re also scripted to their plucked eyebrows, from the ”dressing-room chatter” (”Can I use your base?”) that opens their new, second album, Funky Divas, to the sexy choruses that chime in like clockwork. That said, the four sweet-voiced members of En Vogue are versatile enough to handle reggae-, gospel- and doo-wop-tinted dance music with game if not very deep enthusiasm. Still, Funky Divas has an awkward charm, especially on ”It Ain’t Over Till the Fat Lady Sings,” a shameless defense of the girls’ fame, and ”What Is Love,” in which they archly recite dictionary definitions of the word. En Vogue may end up a bonus question in music-trivia books of the year 2000, but in the meantime they’re dancing all the way to the bank.
Funky Divas Remember when the Shangri-Las and the Ronettes ruled the top 10? Well, once again there's a mini-industry in carefully packaged and marketed all-girl...Funky DivasR&B Remember when the Shangri-Las and the Ronettes ruled the top 10? Well, once again there's a mini-industry in carefully packaged and marketed all-girl...1992-04-03
Posted April 3 1992 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Dukes of Hazzard' costar: TV Land wrong
- Keke Palmer: 'Scream Queens' will be just 'as brutal' as 'American Horror Story'
- Empire State Building jams out to Grateful Dead with synchronized July 4 light show
- Dave Grohl's game of throne in D.C.
- Kit Harington: Buzz about his long hair
- Missy Elliott takes show into the crowd at Essence Fest
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!