Remember when the Shangri-Las and the Ronettes ruled the top 10? Well, once again there’s a mini-industry in carefully packaged and marketed all-girl vocal groups; only the sound has changed. Like two similar outfits, the Cover Girls and Seduction, En Vogue delivers flirtatious R&B set to a mechanized beat. They’re also scripted to their plucked eyebrows, from the ”dressing-room chatter” (”Can I use your base?”) that opens their new, second album, Funky Divas, to the sexy choruses that chime in like clockwork. That said, the four sweet-voiced members of En Vogue are versatile enough to handle reggae-, gospel- and doo-wop-tinted dance music with game if not very deep enthusiasm. Still, Funky Divas has an awkward charm, especially on ”It Ain’t Over Till the Fat Lady Sings,” a shameless defense of the girls’ fame, and ”What Is Love,” in which they archly recite dictionary definitions of the word. En Vogue may end up a bonus question in music-trivia books of the year 2000, but in the meantime they’re dancing all the way to the bank.
Funky Divas Remember when the Shangri-Las and the Ronettes ruled the top 10? Well, once again there's a mini-industry in carefully packaged and marketed all-girl...Funky DivasR&B Remember when the Shangri-Las and the Ronettes ruled the top 10? Well, once again there's a mini-industry in carefully packaged and marketed all-girl...1992-04-03
Posted April 3 1992 — 12:00 AM EST
- Conan reads late-night texts from Adam Sandler
- Neil deGrasse Tyson hosts 'The Martian' promo
- 6 new things we know about Janet Jackson's 'Unbreakable'
- Tom Hardy demonstrates his lip sync skills with Dubsmash
- Jon Hamm in talks to star in sci-fi drama 'Marjorie Prime'
- Can you name these VMA nominees based on just one photo?
- Adele's new album may have its release date
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Emma Watson, Matt Damon, Helena Bonham Carter & More!