Traditionalist Mark Chesnutt saw his 1990 debut, Too Cold at Home, go gold, but he ended up lost in the crush of Garthmania. Now his sophomore effort, Longnecks and Short Stories, should bring him out of Brooks’ shadow, if not with such strong heartbreak ballads as ”I’ll Think of Something” and ”It’s Not Over,” then certainly with the up-tempo numbers. ”Old Flames Have New Names,” about a guy’s former lovers who’ve suddenly become someone else’s wives, is a tart and tangy bit of Western swing. And ”Bubba Shot the Jukebox,” the very funny saga of a good ol’ boy who goes nuts when a sad song comes on the record machine and commits justifiable homicide — ”stopped it with one shot” — is a sure hit. As a vocalist, Chesnutt is a little too laid back: You get the feeling that a couple of these songs would become classics if performed by someone with more presence. But his earnestness — and his , baritone, a friendly foghorn — go a long way toward making even the occasional filler here worthwhile.
Longnecks and Short Stories Traditionalist Mark Chesnutt saw his 1990 debut, Too Cold at Home, go gold, but he ended up lost in the crush of Garthmania. Now his...Longnecks and Short StoriesCountry Traditionalist Mark Chesnutt saw his 1990 debut, Too Cold at Home, go gold, but he ended up lost in the crush of Garthmania. Now his...1992-04-03
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Mark Chesnutt
Posted April 3 1992 — 12:00 AM EST
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- How Taylor Swift, Jimmy Fallon, and other stars are celebrating July 4
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- Beach reads: 15 heart-stopping thrillers to dive into this summer
- Zack Snyder defends ‘Man of Steel’ ending: You can’t have superheroes knock around with no consequences
- 50 Songs for 50 States: EW's favorite patriotic pop through the years
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Q's about Jace, Audrey, and a twist
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Eddie Redmayne, Eva Longoria, Flo Rida & More!