Traditionalist Mark Chesnutt saw his 1990 debut, Too Cold at Home, go gold, but he ended up lost in the crush of Garthmania. Now his sophomore effort, Longnecks and Short Stories, should bring him out of Brooks’ shadow, if not with such strong heartbreak ballads as ”I’ll Think of Something” and ”It’s Not Over,” then certainly with the up-tempo numbers. ”Old Flames Have New Names,” about a guy’s former lovers who’ve suddenly become someone else’s wives, is a tart and tangy bit of Western swing. And ”Bubba Shot the Jukebox,” the very funny saga of a good ol’ boy who goes nuts when a sad song comes on the record machine and commits justifiable homicide — ”stopped it with one shot” — is a sure hit. As a vocalist, Chesnutt is a little too laid back: You get the feeling that a couple of these songs would become classics if performed by someone with more presence. But his earnestness — and his , baritone, a friendly foghorn — go a long way toward making even the occasional filler here worthwhile.
Longnecks and Short Stories Traditionalist Mark Chesnutt saw his 1990 debut, Too Cold at Home, go gold, but he ended up lost in the crush of Garthmania. Now his...Longnecks and Short StoriesCountry Traditionalist Mark Chesnutt saw his 1990 debut, Too Cold at Home, go gold, but he ended up lost in the crush of Garthmania. Now his...1992-04-03
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Mark Chesnutt
Posted April 3 1992 — 12:00 AM EST
- Ghostbusters' Leslie Jones celebrates birthday with special Ecto-1 cake
- Tyler Perry shares touching tribute from Bobbi Kristina Brown's funeral
- See Hugh Jackman bring back the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
- See Beyoncé birthday wishes from Gwyneth Paltrow, Blue Ivy, and more
- See Kevin Bacon's sweet anniversary tribute to Kyra Sedgwick
- Idris Elba addresses James Bond casting speculation
- Jimmy Fallon thanks Madame Tussauds for making a wax figure of Grumpy Cat
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Dakota Johnson, Keanu Reeves, Bar Refaeli & More!