If French-Canadian singer Celine Dion is aiming for international recognition as a purveyor of crowd-pleasing middle-of-the-road ballads, she’s already well on her way: A consistent platinum seller in Canada, Dion, 24, scored a top five single from her 1990 U.S. debut album, Unison. Her follow-up record’s first hit, a duet with Peabo Bryson on the Oscar-winning title song from Beauty and the Beast, is a perfect showcase for what she’s best at. It’s about a romance that isn’t hers, so it never exposes Dion’s one serious lack — of emotion, which seems to have been trained right out of her lovely voice. The rest of the tunes on Celine Dion, from the pleasantly innocuous (”I Love You, Goodbye”) to lazily titled songs that emit a whiff of the factory (”Show Some Emotion,” ”If You Could See Me Now”), neither call for nor receive a personal touch. The best song here only points up Dion’s deficiency. She hits all the notes on Prince’s graceful, desperate ”With This Tear,” but clearly she has more voice than heart.
Celine Dion If French-Canadian singer Celine Dion is aiming for international recognition as a purveyor of crowd-pleasing middle-of-the-road ballads, she's...Celine Dion If French-Canadian singer Celine Dion is aiming for international recognition as a purveyor of crowd-pleasing middle-of-the-road ballads, she's...1992-04-17
Lead Performer: Celine Dion
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More