At first glance, it looks like something Disney must have locked away in a vault 25 years ago: a splashy, wide-screen, all-singing-all-dancing musical about turn-of-the-century newsboys, with a cast of interchangeably bright- eyed, snub-nosed teenagers hoofing their way through studio sets and spouting G-rated wisecracks in their best show-biz-New York accents. To call Newsies ”old-fashioned” would be to understate the case: The movie just about fetishizes its own squareness. Directed and co-choreographed by Kenny Ortega, the film will probably appeal to parents more than their kids (too many plot twists), and it has been put together with just enough efficiency to qualify as an oddball labor of love. For all that, it’s hardly an accident that this sort of thing went out of style many eons ago. The relentless, rah-rah boosterism of Newsies feels hollow and slightly absurd; it no longer has any connection to the mood of the country. The movie stands as a textbook demonstration of why they don’t — and probably shouldn’t — make ‘em like they used to.
Newsies At first glance, it looks like something Disney must have locked away in a vault 25 years ago: a splashy, wide-screen, all-singing-all-dancing...NewsiesMusicalPG At first glance, it looks like something Disney must have locked away in a vault 25 years ago: a splashy, wide-screen, all-singing-all-dancing...1992-04-17
Genre: Musical; Starring: Christian Bale, Robert Duvall; MPAA Rating: PG
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Angelina Jolie makes first public appearance since her surgery at the Kids Choice Awards
- Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards: The Winners
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here
- Hugh Jackman teases final go-round as 'Wolverine' on Instagram
- J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' miniseries gets a trailer
- Sacha Baron Cohen as Freddie Mercury
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller, Kate & Kate and More!