With its fuzzy sound and gurgling vocals, most of Check Your Head by the Beastie Boys — those bratty white rappers who helped take hip-hop to the suburbs way back in the mid-’80s — sounds as if it were recorded underwater. Actually, that’s the least of the record’s problems. A muddled, clanking mess, the 20-track album offers the usual barrage of dumb Beastie boasts (”I got more spice than the Frugal Gourmet!”), all set to sophomoric attempts at rap, lounge-lizard organ riffing, and skinhead punk. (The new angle is that they play all their own instruments for the first time, but the flaccid metal riffs on ”Gratitude” only make you nostalgic for sampling.) The Beasties’ first album, Licensed to Ill, was an obnoxious, and funny, pop-culture carnival; six years and many imitators later, it still stands as the definitive white rap album. At this rate, it will have to stand as the Beasties’ shining hour, too.
Check Your Head With its fuzzy sound and gurgling vocals, most of Check Your Head by the Beastie Boys — those bratty white rappers who helped...Check Your HeadHip-Hop/Rap With its fuzzy sound and gurgling vocals, most of Check Your Head by the Beastie Boys — those bratty white rappers who helped...1992-05-01
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Producer (group): Capitol
Posted May 1 1992 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Streamy Awards announce 2016 nominations
- 'Lip Sync Battle' bringing back celebrity champs for first live special
- Explicit photos of Leslie Jones leaked after website hack
- Ryan Lochte in talks to join 'Dancing with the Stars'
- 'Dirk Gently' teaser promises corpses, cops, and a killer
- New York Film Festival: Carrie Fisher film joins documentary lineup
- 'The Royals' gets season 3 premiere date, shirtless Prince Liam pics
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...