Australian cult rocker, novelist, and recovering junkie Nick Cave has long been the stuff of legend. But his music — lugubrious, dressed-in-black postpunk — hasn’t always lived up to the myth. That’s all changed on his terrific seventh album, Henry’s Dream, which sets Cave’s deep, dolorous voice and scab-picking lyrics (”I counted all my blessings/And I counted only one”) to windswept, tote- that-barge arrangements. If galley slaves conducted sing-alongs, complete with lush accompaniment, it would sound like this. Cave even offers up a lovely ballad (”Straight to You”) amidst his usual moralistic story-songs. Old fans may be dismayed by Cave’s bid at accessibility, but to everyone else Henry’s Dream may finally demonstrate what the fuss is all about.
Henry's Dream Australian cult rocker, novelist, and recovering junkie Nick Cave has long been the stuff of legend. But his music — lugubrious, dressed-in...Henry's DreamRock Australian cult rocker, novelist, and recovering junkie Nick Cave has long been the stuff of legend. But his music — lugubrious, dressed-in...1992-05-08
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- Game of Thrones: Melisandre actress on nude scenes and Jon Snow interest
- 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' products to hit shelves in September
- J.K. Rowling apologizes for 'Harry Potter' death
- Kanye West announces new album title
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' earns $187.7M at weekend box office, second-best U.S. debut ever
- Spice Girls reunite at David Beckham's birthday
- 'Dances With Wolves' writer Michael Blake dies
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Halle Berry & Goldie Hawn, Plus Diddy, Melissa McCarthy & More!