Wearing one’s influences ain’t a crime, but making a suit out of them is. R. Kelly, who has a huge R&B hit with Born Into the 90’s, sounds as if he has been locked in his room for the last 10 years listening to every record by Teddy Riley and his group, Guy. Kelly’s get-down songs are predictable, new-jack formula (the almost comical ”Keep It Street,” about how baaad R. is). ”She’s Got That Vibe” is little more than a shameless rip-off of Guy singer Aaron Hall’s distinctive gospel-infused tenor set to a standard-issue beat; sure, it moves, but any fool can sequence a groove that’s dope enough to make you dance, especially if he’s stealing it. The slow jams are equally dull. Inspirational verses include ”Your body’s like a lemon drop/Sure taste good to me,” as R. offers on ”Honey Love” to take his candy cutie to the mall as part of his hapless seduction — Oh, hold me back, I think I’m in love. The real crime is that Kelly, who wrote, produced, and sang all the cuts, seems to have talent (at least the CD bonus cut, ”Hey Love,” has an air of originality to it) but brings absolutely nothing new to the R&B mix. D+
Born Into the 90's Wearing one's influences ain't a crime, but making a suit out of them is. R. Kelly, who has a huge R&B hit with Born Into the 90's,...Born Into the 90's Wearing one's influences ain't a crime, but making a suit out of them is. R. Kelly, who has a huge R&B hit with Born Into the 90's,...1992-05-15
Producer (group): Jive Records
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More