Billy Ray Cyrus Some Gave All (Mercury) Kentuckian Billy Ray Cyrus dresses like James Dean and moves like Elvis, but he’s really a Billy ”Crash” Craddock for the ’90s — a purveyor of old-style rock & roll done up with a twang. On his debut, Some Gave All, Cyrus and his workingman’s-bar band rock with both the rhythm of sex (the crossover hit ”Achy Breaky Heart”) and the rhythm of the job down at the auto plant. But in contrast to a performer like Aaron Tippin, who mines a fresh lode from blue-collar woes, he covers the same old territory, dumbing down into stereotype for the white-trash novelty tune ”Wher’m I Gonna Live?,” and hauling out a predictable Vietnam-vets tribute for the title tune. To his credit, Cyrus delivers a convincing reading of ”Could’ve Been Me,” capturing one man’s torment in watching the woman he loves marry someone else. But when he launches into the time warp of ”These Boots Are Made for Walkin’,” Cyrus suggests he’s really just a Dew Drop Inn regular who accidentally stumbled into the big time. D+
Some Gave All Billy Ray Cyrus Some Gave All (Mercury) Kentuckian Billy Ray Cyrus dresses like James Dean and moves like Elvis, but he's really a Billy ''Crash''...Some Gave AllCountry Billy Ray Cyrus Some Gave All (Mercury) Kentuckian Billy Ray Cyrus dresses like James Dean and moves like Elvis, but he's really a Billy ''Crash''...1992-05-29
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Billy Ray Cyrus
Posted May 29 1992 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!