Billy Ray Cyrus Some Gave All (Mercury) Kentuckian Billy Ray Cyrus dresses like James Dean and moves like Elvis, but he’s really a Billy ”Crash” Craddock for the ’90s — a purveyor of old-style rock & roll done up with a twang. On his debut, Some Gave All, Cyrus and his workingman’s-bar band rock with both the rhythm of sex (the crossover hit ”Achy Breaky Heart”) and the rhythm of the job down at the auto plant. But in contrast to a performer like Aaron Tippin, who mines a fresh lode from blue-collar woes, he covers the same old territory, dumbing down into stereotype for the white-trash novelty tune ”Wher’m I Gonna Live?,” and hauling out a predictable Vietnam-vets tribute for the title tune. To his credit, Cyrus delivers a convincing reading of ”Could’ve Been Me,” capturing one man’s torment in watching the woman he loves marry someone else. But when he launches into the time warp of ”These Boots Are Made for Walkin’,” Cyrus suggests he’s really just a Dew Drop Inn regular who accidentally stumbled into the big time. D+
Some Gave All Billy Ray Cyrus Some Gave All (Mercury) Kentuckian Billy Ray Cyrus dresses like James Dean and moves like Elvis, but he's really a Billy ''Crash''...Some Gave AllCountry Billy Ray Cyrus Some Gave All (Mercury) Kentuckian Billy Ray Cyrus dresses like James Dean and moves like Elvis, but he's really a Billy ''Crash''...1992-05-29
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Billy Ray Cyrus
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race': Our exclusive audience with the queen of second chances
- 'Bachelorette' first promo: This crazytown ain't big enough for the both of them
- 'Originals' boss breaks down latest shockers, previews a devastating finale
- 'Ant-Man' gets a tiny billboard campaign
- Django Django unveil trippy, magenta-hued video for 'Beginning to Fade'
- 'Agents of SHIELD' spinoff to star Adrianne Palicki, Nick Blood
- AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd pleads guilty
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Katy Perry, Tim & Faith, Blake Lively and More!