Roses are red, violets are blue. Bricks are heavy, and L7 is too. Produced by Butch Vig of Nirvana fame, L7’s sound is similar to that band’s oeuvre: catchy tunes and mean vocals on top of ugly guitars and a quick-but-thick bottom of cast-iron grunge. Where L7 differs from Nirvana, however, is in the clarity of its angry lyrics. There are no ”Oh well, whatever, neverminds” on Bricks Are Heavy. This is a band that knows exactly how it feels about topics like war (”Body bags and dropping bombs/The Pentagon knows how to turn us on,” from ”Wargasm”), sexism (”Calgon can’t take me away/ From the things I did today,” from ”Diet Pill”), and American apathy (”They’ve got us in the palm of their greedy hands/ When we pretend that we’re dead,” from ”Pretend We’re Dead”). At the same time, L7 never loses the joyous noisiness of having a big dumb sound. Although the band’s positive-plus stances on liberal issues may not instantly endear it to fuzzy-minded teen America, L7 does manage to be simultaneously fun and furious, an intensely appealing combination. In short, Violets are blue and roses are red. Go get L7 for a shot of street cred. A
Bricks Are HeavyRoses are red, violets are blue. Bricks are heavy, and L7 is too. Produced by Butch Vig of Nirvana fame, L7's sound is similar to that band's oeuvre:...Bricks Are HeavyRockRoses are red, violets are blue. Bricks are heavy, and L7 is too. Produced by Butch Vig of Nirvana fame, L7's sound is similar to that band's oeuvre:...1992-06-19
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Slash
Posted June 19 1992 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Saoirse Ronan struggles with homesickness in the first clip from 'Brooklyn'
- Joe Biden to stop by as guest on 'Late Show'
- Vincent Cassel joins cast of the next 'Bourne' film
- Josh Gad gets thumbs-up to play Roger Ebert in Russ & Roger
- Here's what the critics are saying about 'Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain'
- Need to catch 'Empire'? Fox airing a full-season marathon on Labor Day
- 'The View': Rosie Perez says she would return for a 'visit'
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!