Roses are red, violets are blue. Bricks are heavy, and L7 is too. Produced by Butch Vig of Nirvana fame, L7’s sound is similar to that band’s oeuvre: catchy tunes and mean vocals on top of ugly guitars and a quick-but-thick bottom of cast-iron grunge. Where L7 differs from Nirvana, however, is in the clarity of its angry lyrics. There are no ”Oh well, whatever, neverminds” on Bricks Are Heavy. This is a band that knows exactly how it feels about topics like war (”Body bags and dropping bombs/The Pentagon knows how to turn us on,” from ”Wargasm”), sexism (”Calgon can’t take me away/ From the things I did today,” from ”Diet Pill”), and American apathy (”They’ve got us in the palm of their greedy hands/ When we pretend that we’re dead,” from ”Pretend We’re Dead”). At the same time, L7 never loses the joyous noisiness of having a big dumb sound. Although the band’s positive-plus stances on liberal issues may not instantly endear it to fuzzy-minded teen America, L7 does manage to be simultaneously fun and furious, an intensely appealing combination. In short, Violets are blue and roses are red. Go get L7 for a shot of street cred. A
Bricks Are HeavyRoses are red, violets are blue. Bricks are heavy, and L7 is too. Produced by Butch Vig of Nirvana fame, L7's sound is similar to that band's oeuvre:...Bricks Are HeavyRockRoses are red, violets are blue. Bricks are heavy, and L7 is too. Produced by Butch Vig of Nirvana fame, L7's sound is similar to that band's oeuvre:...1992-06-19
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Slash
Posted June 19 1992 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Can Tyrion be trusted on 'Game of Thrones'?
- Kim and Kanye: It's their 1st anniversary
- 'Winter Is Coming Live' recaps the latest 'Game of Thrones' episode, 'The Gift'
- 'Gilmore Girls' movie? Scott Patterson hints at 'some activity'
- Former Virgins frontman Donald Cumming debuts dreamy ballad 'In The Early Hours' -- exclusive
- 'Star Wars' to screen in China for first time ever
- Art Garfunkel dings Paul Simon in new interview
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!