Tapped in some quarters as the band most likely to hit the big time via this summer’s heralded Lollapalooza tour, Ministry couldn’t have chosen a more appropriate working title for its new album (The Way to Succeed and the Way to Suck Eggs) if someone had forced them to do it by driving wooden spikes under their fingernails with a 100-pound mallet. Speaking of how they sound — and how nonfans will react to this aggressively snotty aural bed-wetting — you’ve gotta hand it to them: Pain has never felt this good before. But fame does beckon for these Chicago-based industrial-rock granddaddies, because now more than ever there’s a metallic allure to their purposeful mess in Psalm 69. The thrash guitars that predominate here sound like Metallica in overdrive — and key Minister Alain Jourgensen’s satanic yapping on tracks like ”Hero” isn’t that far removed from the growling of a true metal hero, Motorhead’s Lemmy. Metalheads will eat this up, naturally, and industrial dweebs will still dig ‘em for sampling George Bush’s meowing about a ”new world order” on the leadoff track, ”N.W.O.” Wonderfully obnoxious, and therefore nearly perfect.
Psalm 69Tapped in some quarters as the band most likely to hit the big time via this summer's heralded Lollapalooza tour, Ministry couldn't have chosen a more...Psalm 69RockTapped in some quarters as the band most likely to hit the big time via this summer's heralded Lollapalooza tour, Ministry couldn't have chosen a more...1992-07-31
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Sire
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!