With its gently shifting moods and curvy melodies, the music on Brian McKnight is black pop suitable for framing. McKnight’s glowing tenor slides along song lines with heartfelt abandon, dominating gentle poems of love with a maturity that belies his 22 years. Even an anxious new-jack jam like ”Yours” is nuanced with perky horns and honey harmonies, pounding home lustfulness but also warmer sentiments. On ”Is the Feeling Gone” the instrumentation suggests a smoky jazz club, while on the album’s only cover tune, Hall and Oates’ ”I Can’t Go for That,” the soundscape gets a bit raw but is still very dapper. McKnight may switch musical affinities from time to time, but he never trades in his style. Nothing is ever overstated, but one gets the message: McKnight is the most comforting R&B singer-songwriter to emerge since Keith Washington early last year.
Brian McKnight With its gently shifting moods and curvy melodies, the music on Brian McKnight is black pop suitable for framing. McKnight's glowing...Brian McKnightR&B With its gently shifting moods and curvy melodies, the music on Brian McKnight is black pop suitable for framing. McKnight's glowing...1992-08-14
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Brian McKnight; Producer (group): Mercury Records
Posted August 14 1992 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Keith Richards talks solo album, documentary, and trying to get the Stones back in the studio
- 'Saturday Night Live' adds Jon Rudnitsky as cast member
- Rooney Mara helps Rio kids in new 'Trash' trailer
- What's expiring on Netflix in September
- Neve Campbell 'devastated' by Wes Craven's death
- 'Faking It' boss previews season 2B: New faces, dynamics, and that upcoming Karmy kiss
- Andy Grammer joins 'Dancing With the Stars'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!