From 1986 until last year, California authorities wouldn’t permit Suicidal Tendencies to perform in large venues anywhere within earshot of L.A. because they were afraid the hardcore group might inspire a riot. Given the evidence on The Art of Rebellion, you’d think the offense was impersonating Pink Floyd instead. After a decade, sole Suicidal survivor Mike Muir, billed here as ”Cyco Miko,” is revamping his persona along with his revolving personnel. He’s no longer the community revolutionary, compared with bad neighbors like Ice-T, and he has been crowded off the funk-fusion wagon by hotter Chili Peppers. What’s more, Nirvana and Metallica have yelled The Art of Rebellion’s teen alien themes like real rebels and better artists. It’s hard to be convincing when your band can only offer hardcore cliches that your producer only Roger Waters-down. Even the best song, the power ballad ”Asleep at the Wheel,” is a little too close to dinosaur rock for comfort. But rising for the first time above the thrash, Muir’s experiments — particularly with uncanny, Ray Davies-like vocals — suggest that there may be life after suicide yet.
The Art of RebellionFrom 1986 until last year, California authorities wouldn't permit Suicidal Tendencies to perform in large venues anywhere within earshot of L.A. because...The Art of RebellionMetal, RockFrom 1986 until last year, California authorities wouldn't permit Suicidal Tendencies to perform in large venues anywhere within earshot of L.A. because...1992-08-21
Genre: Metal, Rock
Posted August 21 1992 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on why the judges 'floored' him this week
- Christina Applegate is a terrible Meryl Streep in Funny or Die's Lifetime spoof
- Wrestling legend Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka charged in 1983 murder
- Meet Denise, Kermit the Frog's new love interest
- And the Oscar producing gig goes to...
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!