The musical-production numbers created by Busby Berkeley in the 1930s are works of gaga movie surrealism that still astound. This extraordinary laserdisc-only release compiles 22 of his best, including several numbers — notable for near-nudity and risqué material — that were filmed before the Production Code censors clamped down in 1934. Technical innovations abound, from violins outlined by then-new neon tubes (”Shadow Waltz”) to strategically placed mirrors that create the impression of thousands of dancers performing (”Don’t Say Goodnight”). The disc includes Berkeley’s own favorite, ”Lullaby of Broadway,” which features the most massive tap dance ever filmed. Yes, The Busby Berkeley Disc has lots of Berkeley’s loopy geometric patterns shot from elevated camera angles — and yes, there are numerous kitschy touches. But also on display are cinematic ingeniousness and a timeless sense of fun. A
The Busby Berkeley Disc The musical-production numbers created by Busby Berkeley in the 1930s are works of gaga movie surrealism that still astound. This extraordinary...The Busby Berkeley DiscMusicalUnrated The musical-production numbers created by Busby Berkeley in the 1930s are works of gaga movie surrealism that still astound. This extraordinary...1992-11-06
Genre: Musical; Starring: Al Jolson, Ruby Keeler; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'Mr. Sloane' creator talks about his Nick Frost sitcom and the future of 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'
- U2 puts on surprise performance on New York subway platform
- Sex workers featured on A&E's '8 Minutes' say network failed to offer help, privacy
- Meet the 'So You Think You Can Dance' season 12 judges
- 'Conan' is going to Comic-Con
- Barbarossa wanders the woods in video for sparse 'Imager'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Rob & Kate, Anna Kendrick, Vanessa & Selena and More!