The musical-production numbers created by Busby Berkeley in the 1930s are works of gaga movie surrealism that still astound. This extraordinary laserdisc-only release compiles 22 of his best, including several numbers — notable for near-nudity and risqué material — that were filmed before the Production Code censors clamped down in 1934. Technical innovations abound, from violins outlined by then-new neon tubes (”Shadow Waltz”) to strategically placed mirrors that create the impression of thousands of dancers performing (”Don’t Say Goodnight”). The disc includes Berkeley’s own favorite, ”Lullaby of Broadway,” which features the most massive tap dance ever filmed. Yes, The Busby Berkeley Disc has lots of Berkeley’s loopy geometric patterns shot from elevated camera angles — and yes, there are numerous kitschy touches. But also on display are cinematic ingeniousness and a timeless sense of fun. A
The Busby Berkeley Disc The musical-production numbers created by Busby Berkeley in the 1930s are works of gaga movie surrealism that still astound. This extraordinary...The Busby Berkeley DiscMusicalUnrated The musical-production numbers created by Busby Berkeley in the 1930s are works of gaga movie surrealism that still astound. This extraordinary...1992-11-06
Genre: Musical; Starring: Al Jolson, Ruby Keeler; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted November 6 1992 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Kevin Bacon's sweet anniversary tribute to Kyra Sedgwick
- Idris Elba addresses James Bond casting speculation
- Jimmy Fallon thanks Madame Tussauds for making a wax figure of Grumpy Cat
- Chris Evans on more Captain America: 'If Marvel wants me, they got me'
- Alison Brie offers unqualified dating advice on 'The Tonight Show'
- Jimmy Fallon plays 'Family Feud' on 'The Tonight Show'
- One Direction fans' Summer of Struggles: a timeline
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Dakota Johnson, Keanu Reeves, Bar Refaeli & More!