Thanks to legal complications, it took six years for Brenda Starr to flicker, ever so briefly, on the big screen. If only the disagreement had dragged out indefinitely. This two-dimensional story about the classic comic-strip character (Brooke Shields) begins when her love-struck cartoonist (Tony Peck) is literally drawn into his work. Once there, he must compete for reporter Brenda’s attention; his opponents are the dashing Basil St. John (Timothy Dalton) and Brenda’s true love — a breaking news story of international proportions. Intended as a campy celebration in the manner of Batman and Dick Tracy, Brenda Starr ends up forced and unfunny, nothing more than a chain of shticky chase scenes. On video, big, beautiful Brooke appears downright Amazonian, especially when clad in a circus costume that looks two sizes too small, and her outlandish costumes are only surpassed by her overwrought acting. If you’re planning an awful-video party, make Brenda Starr your featured attraction. F
Brenda StarrThanks to legal complications, it took six years for Brenda Starr to flicker, ever so briefly, on the big screen. If only the...Brenda StarrComedy, Action/AdventurePGThanks to legal complications, it took six years for Brenda Starr to flicker, ever so briefly, on the big screen. If only the...1992-11-27Tony Peck
Genre: Comedy, Action/Adventure; Starring: Timothy Dalton, Brooke Shields, Tony Peck; Director: Robert Ellis Miller; MPAA Rating: PG
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!