Anyone who came of age in the ’70s surely has a nostalgic bond with the gangly showman-nerd of bad fashion. In my case, my older sister is a huge (but discriminating) fan. It’s easy to hear Barry Manilow’s knack for stick-in-the-cranium hooks, average-guy sentiments, and production tricks. There’s a reason we all remember ”Weekend in New England” and ”Mandy.” Still, the four-CD Complete Collection And Then Some is expressly designed for cultists, with its alternate-take versions of his hits and for-fans-only rarities. Compiled with evident care (Velcro-attached fold-out sleeves plus an hour-long video), the box shrewdly gets around his pop-chart decline in the last decade by sequencing the 70 songs out of chronological order. Still, at the risk of infuriating my sister, this overdose of Manilow will be, for most, a C.
The Complete Collection and Then Some Anyone who came of age in the '70s surely has a nostalgic bond with the gangly showman-nerd of bad fashion. In my case, my older sister is a huge (but...The Complete Collection and Then Some Anyone who came of age in the '70s surely has a nostalgic bond with the gangly showman-nerd of bad fashion. In my case, my older sister is a huge (but...1992-12-11
Lead Performer: Barry Manilow
Posted December 11 1992 — 12:00 AM EST
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- Fear the Walking Dead producers reveal how much time season 1 will cover
- The CW moves up premiere dates for 'Jane the Virgin,' 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend'
- Jemaine Clement voices a 'mind-reading fart' in exclusive 'Rick and Morty' clip
- John Carpenter pays tribute to 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper
- Patrick Stewart on cocaine is hilarious in 'Blunt Talk' trailer
- Wrestling great Roddy Piper dies
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!