It seemed an odd concept on the face of it: Pop diva Mariah Carey on MTV Unplugged? Since when is a voice ever plugged in? But why quibble: Carey’s March appearance was a vocal tour de force, proving beyond a doubt that in addition to her breathtaking pipes, she has developed a commanding stage presence. Besides nailing such hits as ”Vision of Love” and ”Emotions” with ease, she turned in a killer duet with Trey Lorenz on the Jackson 5’s ”I’ll Be There,” which became a No. 1 single and pushed the EP of the event into Billboard’s top 5. In the process, this rare public appearance (now on video) reminded us there was a big-league performer inside that party dress.
Posted December 25 1992 — 12:00 AM EST
- Gillian Flynn returns to some 'Dark Places'
- Tony Hale loves, hates Harry Styles in 'The Comment Section' promo
- Meryl Streep took guitar lesson from Neil Young to prep for 'Ricki and the Flash' role
- One Direction give 'Drag me Down' its televised debut
- How Miles Teller got welcomed to the Marvel universe
- Olivia Munn on how Jon Stewart has 'personalized' the news
- 'Walking Dead' star Norman Reedus on 'wild animals' of season 6