It seemed an odd concept on the face of it: Pop diva Mariah Carey on MTV Unplugged? Since when is a voice ever plugged in? But why quibble: Carey’s March appearance was a vocal tour de force, proving beyond a doubt that in addition to her breathtaking pipes, she has developed a commanding stage presence. Besides nailing such hits as ”Vision of Love” and ”Emotions” with ease, she turned in a killer duet with Trey Lorenz on the Jackson 5’s ”I’ll Be There,” which became a No. 1 single and pushed the EP of the event into Billboard’s top 5. In the process, this rare public appearance (now on video) reminded us there was a big-league performer inside that party dress.
Posted December 25 1992 — 12:00 AM EST
- Five Questions From Transparent's Season 2 Premiere
- Gotham Awards 2015: 'Spotlight,' 'Tangerine' top the winners list
- Reese Witherspoon developing movie about Barbie creator, with an eye to star
- Casting Net: Alicia Vikander joins James McAvoy in romantic thriller
- The Avengers get rom-com treatment in remix video
- Superman unmasks Batman in new sneak peek from 'Dawn of Justice'
- J.J. Abrams says screening 'Force Awakens' for Disney bosses was 'horrifying'