It seemed an odd concept on the face of it: Pop diva Mariah Carey on MTV Unplugged? Since when is a voice ever plugged in? But why quibble: Carey’s March appearance was a vocal tour de force, proving beyond a doubt that in addition to her breathtaking pipes, she has developed a commanding stage presence. Besides nailing such hits as ”Vision of Love” and ”Emotions” with ease, she turned in a killer duet with Trey Lorenz on the Jackson 5’s ”I’ll Be There,” which became a No. 1 single and pushed the EP of the event into Billboard’s top 5. In the process, this rare public appearance (now on video) reminded us there was a big-league performer inside that party dress.
Posted December 25 1992 — 12:00 AM EST
- Bryan Cranston wants to play a ‘nasty’ Marvel villain
- Rashida Jones would totally duet with Adam Levine on 'The Voice'
- Jennifer Morrison talks 'Once Upon a Time' at New York Comic-Con
- Randy Quaid arrested at Canadian border by Vermont State Police
- 'Shadowhunters' gets official premiere date
- See Norman Reedus ride into 'Walking Dead' premiere on a motorcycle
- See Luke Skywalker crushed by an AT-AT in 'Star Wars Battlefront' game