It seemed an odd concept on the face of it: Pop diva Mariah Carey on MTV Unplugged? Since when is a voice ever plugged in? But why quibble: Carey’s March appearance was a vocal tour de force, proving beyond a doubt that in addition to her breathtaking pipes, she has developed a commanding stage presence. Besides nailing such hits as ”Vision of Love” and ”Emotions” with ease, she turned in a killer duet with Trey Lorenz on the Jackson 5’s ”I’ll Be There,” which became a No. 1 single and pushed the EP of the event into Billboard’s top 5. In the process, this rare public appearance (now on video) reminded us there was a big-league performer inside that party dress.
Posted December 25 1992 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Suits' has been renewed
- See the full 'Uncharted 4' behind-closed-doors E3 demo
- Unauthorized Melrose Place Story in the works from Lifetime
- 'Agent Carter' Comic-Con poster, season 2 hints revealed: Peggy lands in Hollywood
- ABC reviving 'To Tell The Truth'
- Robert Downey Jr., Paul Thomas Anderson nearing 'Pinocchio' remake deal
- Michael Keaton, J.K. Simmons exit 'Kong'
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files': David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Beyoncé, LL Cool J, Taylor Swift & More!