It seemed an odd concept on the face of it: Pop diva Mariah Carey on MTV Unplugged? Since when is a voice ever plugged in? But why quibble: Carey’s March appearance was a vocal tour de force, proving beyond a doubt that in addition to her breathtaking pipes, she has developed a commanding stage presence. Besides nailing such hits as ”Vision of Love” and ”Emotions” with ease, she turned in a killer duet with Trey Lorenz on the Jackson 5’s ”I’ll Be There,” which became a No. 1 single and pushed the EP of the event into Billboard’s top 5. In the process, this rare public appearance (now on video) reminded us there was a big-league performer inside that party dress.
Posted December 25 1992 — 12:00 AM EST
- Lena Dunham opens up about endometriosis in Facebook post
- #OscarsSoWhite: Sylvester Stallone was ready to boycott Academy Awards
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Cuba Gooding Jr. on 'ACS'
- Maroon 5 respond to Taraji P. Henson confusing them with Coldplay
- Rick Rubin is producing a 'Star Wars'-inspired album
- Zayn Malik's 'Pillowtalk' debuts at No. 1
- 'Gotham' exclusive: See first footage of Mr. Freeze, Hugo Strange in action