It seemed an odd concept on the face of it: Pop diva Mariah Carey on MTV Unplugged? Since when is a voice ever plugged in? But why quibble: Carey’s March appearance was a vocal tour de force, proving beyond a doubt that in addition to her breathtaking pipes, she has developed a commanding stage presence. Besides nailing such hits as ”Vision of Love” and ”Emotions” with ease, she turned in a killer duet with Trey Lorenz on the Jackson 5’s ”I’ll Be There,” which became a No. 1 single and pushed the EP of the event into Billboard’s top 5. In the process, this rare public appearance (now on video) reminded us there was a big-league performer inside that party dress.
Posted December 25 1992 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Dames at Sea' to dock on Broadway in Fall 2015
- Here's the list of performers for the 2015 CMT Music Awards (so far)
- Kurt Wimmer to develop scripted series with Spike
- Grateful Dead announce gargantuan 80-disc box set '30 Trips Around The Sun'
- Watch the first trailer for Pixar's 'The Good Dinosaur'
- 'Childrens Hospital' renewed for season 7
- Waka Flocka Flame & Good Charlotte release 'Pixels' theme
Stormtrooper snow angels? Superhero graffiti war? Daniel Picard's 'Figure Fantasy' photos play with pop culture