A vain actress (Meryl Streep) steals a writer’s (Goldie Hawn) main man (a nicely nerdy Bruce Willis), and for about an hour Death Becomes Her is an enjoyably silly revenge fantasy with some wonderfully bitchy dialogue. Then Hollywood grandiosity enters in a ridiculous plot twist: Both women drink a potion to keep them eternally young, which becomes an excuse to get fancy with some FX. The twisting heads and holes through stomachs, from their encounters with various physical disasters, all appear very puny on the small screen. Often, when Hollywood goes whole hog with a horrible idea, as it does here, the effect is the equivalent of watching a child spend thousands of dollars in a candy store. What is initially interesting — and fun — about this movie is the idea of a satire about a society terrorized by the prospect of aging. What results instead, Streep’s deft comic turn notwithstanding, is a leaden farce powered by pricey inanity. C
Death Becomes Her A vain actress (Meryl Streep) steals a writer's (Goldie Hawn) main man (a nicely nerdy Bruce Willis), and for about an hour Death Becomes HerDeath Becomes HerHorror, ComedyPG-13 A vain actress (Meryl Streep) steals a writer's (Goldie Hawn) main man (a nicely nerdy Bruce Willis), and for about an hour Death Becomes Her1993-02-12
Genre: Horror, Comedy; Starring: Goldie Hawn, Meryl Streep, Bruce Willis; Director: Robert Zemeckis; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted February 12 1993 — 12:00 AM EST
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!