Based on a true crime of passion in Spain during the ’50s, Lovers tells the classic tale of a man, Paco (Jorge Sanz), torn between two mistresses. His landlady, Luisa (Victoria Abril), is a swindler but a hellion in bed, while the trusting, virginal Trini (Maribel Verdu) loves him with a childlike innocence. The film, which combines Theodore Dreiser’s social realism with James M. Cain’s duplicity and outlaw passion, moves with cautious deliberation to a grim and shocking conclusion. Viewers with a highly developed taste for romantic masochism will likely be pulled into the emotional eddies formed by Lovers. Others will be seduced by its raw, erotic interludes, which are every bit as adult as they are startling. B+
Lovers Based on a true crime of passion in Spain during the '50s, Lovers tells the classic tale of a man, Paco (Jorge Sanz), torn between...LoversDrama, Foreign LanguageUnrated Based on a true crime of passion in Spain during the '50s, Lovers tells the classic tale of a man, Paco (Jorge Sanz), torn between...1993-02-12
Genre: Drama, Foreign Language; Starring: Victoria Abril, Jorge Sanz; Director: Vicente Aranda; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted February 12 1993 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Ghostbusters' new car: Paul Feig reveals #whattheygonnadrive
- Gay marriage ruling movie in the works at Fox
- Casting Net: Ellen Page signs on for Iraq War drama Lioness
- Hillary Clinton talks 'SNL' impressions
- Miss USA pageant names new hosts
- Rosie Perez leaving 'The View'
- Jeff Goldblum and wife welcome first son on the only possible day
- 'American Idol Live!' tour photos: Let's go backstage!
- They look like THAT now? See some of the latest child stars all grown up
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!