Based on a true crime of passion in Spain during the ’50s, Lovers tells the classic tale of a man, Paco (Jorge Sanz), torn between two mistresses. His landlady, Luisa (Victoria Abril), is a swindler but a hellion in bed, while the trusting, virginal Trini (Maribel Verdu) loves him with a childlike innocence. The film, which combines Theodore Dreiser’s social realism with James M. Cain’s duplicity and outlaw passion, moves with cautious deliberation to a grim and shocking conclusion. Viewers with a highly developed taste for romantic masochism will likely be pulled into the emotional eddies formed by Lovers. Others will be seduced by its raw, erotic interludes, which are every bit as adult as they are startling. B+
Lovers Based on a true crime of passion in Spain during the '50s, Lovers tells the classic tale of a man, Paco (Jorge Sanz), torn between...LoversDrama, Foreign LanguageUnrated Based on a true crime of passion in Spain during the '50s, Lovers tells the classic tale of a man, Paco (Jorge Sanz), torn between...1993-02-12
Genre: Drama, Foreign Language; Starring: Victoria Abril, Jorge Sanz; Director: Vicente Aranda; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted February 12 1993 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!