The irony was priceless. While Oscar voters struggled to find five viable Best Actress nominees for this year’s race, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences settled on a theme for the 65th Annual Academy Awards: ”Oscar Celebrates Women and the Movies.” The Academy gathered 67 female winners (of the 158 still alive) for a commemorative photograph. At the preceding banquet, Ellen Burstyn introduced herself to Geena Davis, Marlee Matlin asked fellow winners for autographs, and Shirley MacLaine and Sally Field commiserated about the lack of juicy roles for women. Video footage of the photo op may air during this year’s Oscar ceremony on ABC March 29.
Posted February 19 1993 — 12:00 AM EST
- #MakeFilmsIntoTVShows Twitter trend was long overdue
- The Best of 2016 in entertainment, from A to Z
- 'Spider-Man: Homecoming 2,' 'Bad Boys 4' set for Summer 2019
- Jennifer Lawrence can't believe Chris Pratt speaks German
- 'Justice League' director Zack Snyder eyeing 'The Last Photograph'
- 'An Inconvenient Truth' sequel debuting at Sundance in Jan. 2017
- Preview the opening scene of the 'Last Man on Earth' fall finale