The irony was priceless. While Oscar voters struggled to find five viable Best Actress nominees for this year’s race, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences settled on a theme for the 65th Annual Academy Awards: ”Oscar Celebrates Women and the Movies.” The Academy gathered 67 female winners (of the 158 still alive) for a commemorative photograph. At the preceding banquet, Ellen Burstyn introduced herself to Geena Davis, Marlee Matlin asked fellow winners for autographs, and Shirley MacLaine and Sally Field commiserated about the lack of juicy roles for women. Video footage of the photo op may air during this year’s Oscar ceremony on ABC March 29.
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- Breaking: Jake Gyllenhaal admits he was once in a boy band
- Original Hedwig John Cameron Mitchell to receive special Tony Award
- Chance the Rapper remixes Jeremih's 'Planes'
- 'Homeland' goes to Germany for season 5
- 'Grey's Anatomy' tried to warn us McDreamy was doomed...
- 'Chicago Fire' adds Dora Madison Burge
- Daniel Bruhl as Marvel 'Civil War' villain