The irony was priceless. While Oscar voters struggled to find five viable Best Actress nominees for this year’s race, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences settled on a theme for the 65th Annual Academy Awards: ”Oscar Celebrates Women and the Movies.” The Academy gathered 67 female winners (of the 158 still alive) for a commemorative photograph. At the preceding banquet, Ellen Burstyn introduced herself to Geena Davis, Marlee Matlin asked fellow winners for autographs, and Shirley MacLaine and Sally Field commiserated about the lack of juicy roles for women. Video footage of the photo op may air during this year’s Oscar ceremony on ABC March 29.
Posted February 19 1993 — 12:00 AM EST
- Casting Net: M. Night Shyamalan's new supernatural thriller adds four actors
- 'Chicago Fire' recap: 'Let it Burn'
- Top 5 'Muppets' moments from 'Pig Out'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' EP to produce 'Famous in Love' drama pilot starring Bella Thorne
- 'Arrow' actor Neal McDonough on bringing megalomaniac Damien Darhk to life
- Lamar Odom hospitalized in Las Vegas after he was found unconscious at brothel
- E! is going to spin off 'Botched'
- 12 Instagram Photos of Pitbull Hanging Out with Celebrities
- 25 Unforgettable Dresses From the Past 25 Years
- Box Office Flops: 19 Notorious Opening Weekends
- EW's 25 Best Movies in 25 Years
- EW Reunions: Bonus portraits of your favorite TV and movie casts
- 'The Walking Dead': 15 Exclusive Storyboard Illustrations From Season 6