The irony was priceless. While Oscar voters struggled to find five viable Best Actress nominees for this year’s race, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences settled on a theme for the 65th Annual Academy Awards: ”Oscar Celebrates Women and the Movies.” The Academy gathered 67 female winners (of the 158 still alive) for a commemorative photograph. At the preceding banquet, Ellen Burstyn introduced herself to Geena Davis, Marlee Matlin asked fellow winners for autographs, and Shirley MacLaine and Sally Field commiserated about the lack of juicy roles for women. Video footage of the photo op may air during this year’s Oscar ceremony on ABC March 29.
Posted February 19 1993 — 12:00 AM EST
- How well do you know The Weeknd's lyrics?
- How Tituss Burgess nearly missed his '30 Rock' audition
- Atlas Genius booked their fantasy festival and made us a playlist for it
- Four reasons 'Straight Outta Compton' made N.W.A the Boyz of summer
- Grace Helbig and Tyler Oakley tapped to host 2015 Streamy Awards
- Miley Cyrus: Donald Trump 'loved' twerking performance at 2013 VMAs
- 6 new tracks we loved this week
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!