The irony was priceless. While Oscar voters struggled to find five viable Best Actress nominees for this year’s race, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences settled on a theme for the 65th Annual Academy Awards: ”Oscar Celebrates Women and the Movies.” The Academy gathered 67 female winners (of the 158 still alive) for a commemorative photograph. At the preceding banquet, Ellen Burstyn introduced herself to Geena Davis, Marlee Matlin asked fellow winners for autographs, and Shirley MacLaine and Sally Field commiserated about the lack of juicy roles for women. Video footage of the photo op may air during this year’s Oscar ceremony on ABC March 29.
Posted February 19 1993 — 12:00 AM EST
- 19 famous writers who came alive on film
- Larry Wilmore slams hunting dentist who killed Cecil the lion
- Keith Urban shows how this smash single got made
- Tyler, The Creator raps the new Dr. Seuss book
- Cara Delevingne addresses awkward interview
- 'Gritty' take on 'Little Women' in development at CW
- Mia Farrow criticized for tweeting business address of Cecil the lion's killer
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Ed Helms, Jenny McCarthy, Joel Edgerton & More!