The second solo album from Soul II Soul’s ex-vocalist is further evidence that black pop is growing less monolithic. Caron Wheeler’s voice is small but beautifully controlled; launching into her ecstatic, microtonal scatting, she sounds like a Senegalese Aretha. Beach of the War Goddess’ sole blemish: ”Lite as a Feather”’s noxious conceit that AIDS was invented to kill off minorities. B+
Beach of the War Goddess The second solo album from Soul II Soul's ex-vocalist is further evidence that black pop is growing less monolithic. Caron Wheeler's voice is small...Beach of the War GoddessHip-Hop/Rap The second solo album from Soul II Soul's ex-vocalist is further evidence that black pop is growing less monolithic. Caron Wheeler's voice is small...1993-02-26
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Lead Performer: Caron Wheeler
Posted February 26 1993 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on why the judges 'floored' him this week
- Christina Applegate is a terrible Meryl Streep in Funny or Die's Lifetime spoof
- Wrestling legend Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka charged in 1983 murder
- Meet Denise, Kermit the Frog's new love interest
- And the Oscar producing gig goes to...
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: tWitch on Team Street's best exit
- 'Daily Show with Trevor Noah' promo previews a few changes with new host
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!