All about the singing Jacksons — and the prices they paid for fame — this show-biz saga serves up its share of genre clichés. What gives The Jacksons: An American Dream an edge is its balanced depiction of the bad times at home. A sugarcoated happy ending only slightly fudges this dysfunctional-family portrait. B-
Genre: TV Movie, Music, Drama, Biopic; Starring: Angela Bassett, Lawrence-Hilton Jacobs; Director: Karen Arthur; Series Premiere: 11/15/1992; Series Finale: 11/18/1992; Broadcaster: ABC; Status: In Season; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted February 26 1993 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Scandal': Bellamy Young talks Fitz and Olivia's now-public affair
- Advocacy group criticizes 'The Martian' for changing Asian-American characters
- Julie Plec blogs the season 3 premiere of 'The Originals'
- Luke Evans, Henry Cavill join Nicholas Hoult in 'Sand Castle'
- This new preview of 'Room' will make you want to call your mom
- Julie's Diary: Julie Plec blogs the 'Vampire Diaries' season 7 premiere
- 'Game of Thrones' cast speculates about season 6 (and beyond) at NYCC