Despite an impressively brooding, end-of-the-party tone, Paul Schrader’s tale of a coke runner’s crisis of spirit isn’t the transcendental experience it’s intended to be. Actually, Light Sleeper is little more than a stylized, upscale rewrite of Schrader’s own 1976 script for Taxi Driver. Strong, sympathetic performances from Dafoe, Sarandon, Dana Delaney, and Jane Adams are reasons to rent, but the fake Springsteen moanings on the soundtrack (courtesy of the Call’s Michael Been) pretty much ruin any chance that you might take this seriously. C
Genre: Drama; Starring: Willem Dafoe, Susan Sarandon, Jane Adams, David Clennon, Dana Delany, Victor Garber, Mary Beth Hurt, Paul Jabara; Director: Paul Schrader; Author: Paul Schrader; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Fine Line Features
Posted February 26 1993 — 12:00 AM EST
- Judd Apatow calls for Cosby supporters to 'stand with the victims'
- Jill Scott says she no longer supports Bill Cosby
- 'Project Runway': Meet the season 14 contestants
- Amanda Peterson, 'Can't Buy Me Love' costar, dies at 43
- Disney eyes live-action 'Prince Charming'
- Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend lands own Beats 1 Radio show
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia 'Maria' Manzano's 7 favorites
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Pippa Middleton, Ryan Reynolds, Jessica Alba & More!