In the third installment of Sam Raimi’s madly inventive Evil Dead series, the director sends his usual hero, the square-jawed wiseacre Ash (Bruce Campbell), back to the Dark Ages, where he comes on like a smart-ass cross between Indiana Jones and Mad Max. It’s fun to watch Ash treat his medieval hosts, including the monsters, with brazen contempt (”Yo, she-bitch, let’s go!”), and there are a few flashes of Raimi at his black-comic best. Still, there are major valleys between high points; Army of Darkness lacks the insane relentlessness that made the previous Evil Dead films such funny, original rides. C+
Army of Darkness In the third installment of Sam Raimi's madly inventive Evil Dead series, the director sends his usual hero, the square-jawed wiseacre Ash ...Army of DarknessAction/Adventure, Comedy, HorrorR In the third installment of Sam Raimi's madly inventive Evil Dead series, the director sends his usual hero, the square-jawed wiseacre Ash ...1993-03-12
Genre: Action/Adventure, Comedy, Horror; Starring: Bruce Campbell, Embeth Davidtz, Bridget Fonda; Director: Sam Raimi; MPAA Rating: R
Posted March 12 1993 — 12:00 AM EST
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt
- Comedian Matt Braunger on pilot season, his new album 'Big Dumb Animal,' and the science of titles
- 'Agents of SHIELD' eyes Skye's arc: 'Birth of a superhero'