In the third installment of Sam Raimi’s madly inventive Evil Dead series, the director sends his usual hero, the square-jawed wiseacre Ash (Bruce Campbell), back to the Dark Ages, where he comes on like a smart-ass cross between Indiana Jones and Mad Max. It’s fun to watch Ash treat his medieval hosts, including the monsters, with brazen contempt (”Yo, she-bitch, let’s go!”), and there are a few flashes of Raimi at his black-comic best. Still, there are major valleys between high points; Army of Darkness lacks the insane relentlessness that made the previous Evil Dead films such funny, original rides. C+
Army of Darkness In the third installment of Sam Raimi's madly inventive Evil Dead series, the director sends his usual hero, the square-jawed wiseacre Ash ...Army of DarknessAction/Adventure, Comedy, HorrorR In the third installment of Sam Raimi's madly inventive Evil Dead series, the director sends his usual hero, the square-jawed wiseacre Ash ...1993-03-12
Genre: Action/Adventure, Comedy, Horror; Starring: Bruce Campbell, Embeth Davidtz, Bridget Fonda; Director: Sam Raimi; MPAA Rating: R
Posted March 12 1993 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Orange Is the New Black' star Taryn Manning is suing New York City over 2014 arrest
- 'Taxi Driver' turns 40: Five ways the movie affected pop culture
- Billy Eichner's trailer was hit by a truck while he was inside
- ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons to star in Discovery pilot 'Rockin' Roadsters'
- 'The Flash' star Danielle Panabaker teases Killer Frost's icy Earth-2 debut
- Jacob Tremblay continues to be charming, poses with Sylvester Stallone
- See Shepard Fairey's poster for Michael Moore's 'Where To Invade Next'