CIVIL SERVANT: No, hosting a daily talk show does not excuse you from jury duty. And so, at the Chicago federal courthouse last week, a very stylish potential juror stood up and introduced herself: ”My name is Oprah Winfrey. I have a talk show. I’m single. I have eight dogs — five golden retrievers, two black labs, and a mongrel.” Dressed mostly in all-black suits and flanked by a hefty bodyguard, Winfrey spent her two days in court chatting with fellow jurors, signing autographs (including one on a $100 bill), and reading Time magazine. ”I’m just doing my civic duty,” she said, ”even though I was planning on going skiing.” While known for her sympathetic ear, Winfrey was deemed by lawyers to be too much of a distraction to serve on a case.
Posted March 19 1993 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Fantastic Beasts': Peek inside NYC’s magical speakeasy, the Blind Pig
- Kanye West shares Kim Kardashian's adorable birthday video during show
- Hillary Clinton to join Jennifer Lopez at her Miami concert
- WATCH: Jack Osbourne on his 'awkward, terrible years' on family's reality show
- Bianca Del Rio nabs comedy special, 'Not Today Bianca'
- NBC eyes 'Will & Grace' revival in wake of successful election short
- '24: Legacy' trailer views catching up with 'This Is Us' record