When Arnold Schwarzennegger is the star, you don’t have to go overboard with the coming-attraction hype; it’s enough to show his face. That sums up the trailer philosophy for The Last Action Hero, due in June. You see a scene of an urban-hostage crisis through a mail-slot-shaped peephole as offscreen reporters inform you that the situation is hopeless. A truck charges in, and out steps Schwarzenegger, howitzer in hand. Peering at you through the peephole, he barks, ”Sorry, not ready yet. Come back later,” and slams the door. We see nary a frame of action. ”We conceived this in the classic teaser tradition,” says Sid Ganis, president of marketing and distribution for Columbia Pictures. But he adds that the studio settled on the concept as much out of necessity as by design: ”We shot it last October before principal photography had even begun.”
Posted April 9 1993 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'House of Cards' premiere react: Blood on the Tracks
- Skrillex + Diplo release Jack U debut
- 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett on the power of Jamal's coming-out
- 'Focus' aims to lift box office crown from 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller 'Wake' halts production due to lack of funding
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on season 1 success, season 2 ideas
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in comic
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!