After a botched heist, six hoods play a bloody game of truth or dare as the heat homes in on their warehouse hideaway. Director Quentin Tarantino’s debut may be the ultimate Boy Movie: It’s loaded with ultraviolence, wise-ass wit and poker-game bravado, and the lone female character is dead seconds after appearing. The carnage approaches jaded overkill — the notorious scene in which a hostage cop gets his ear sliced off is particularly gratuitous — but at least you can fast-forward past it on video. At bottom, Reservoir Dogs is saved by a deep respect for pulp fiction that extends to the casting of B-movie vet Lawrence Tierney as the gang’s Mr. Big. You may not like the terms Tarantino sets, but you have to admit he succeeds on them. B+
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Steve Buscemi, Harvey Keitel, Michael Madsen, Chris Penn, Tim Roth, Lawrence Tierney, Quentin Tarantino; Director: Quentin Tarantino; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: R
Posted April 9 1993 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Liam Payne turns 22! See his most GIF-able moments
- Venice Film Festival premiere of star-studded Martin Scorsese short canceled
- Taylor Swift teases 'Wildest Dreams' video with pic of Scott Eastwood
- Andy Samberg provides Emmys hashtags #freepizza(no)
- Watch the MTV VMAs with EW's drinking game
- Fan theory suggests the Joker was hero of 'The Dark Knight'
- Everything Hannibal wore on 'Hannibal'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!