After a botched heist, six hoods play a bloody game of truth or dare as the heat homes in on their warehouse hideaway. Director Quentin Tarantino’s debut may be the ultimate Boy Movie: It’s loaded with ultraviolence, wise-ass wit and poker-game bravado, and the lone female character is dead seconds after appearing. The carnage approaches jaded overkill — the notorious scene in which a hostage cop gets his ear sliced off is particularly gratuitous — but at least you can fast-forward past it on video. At bottom, Reservoir Dogs is saved by a deep respect for pulp fiction that extends to the casting of B-movie vet Lawrence Tierney as the gang’s Mr. Big. You may not like the terms Tarantino sets, but you have to admit he succeeds on them. B+
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Steve Buscemi, Harvey Keitel, Michael Madsen, Chris Penn, Tim Roth, Lawrence Tierney, Quentin Tarantino; Director: Quentin Tarantino; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: R
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- Harvey Weinstein is facing sexual assault allegations
- Evan Rachel Wood and Brandon Flowers go back to the 19th century for 'Can't Deny My Love' music video
- Death Cab for Cutie open up about 'Kintsugi' and conscious uncoupling with Chris Walla
- WWE's 'Wrestlemania' 31: The 5 best entrances and 5 most memorable moments
- Ariana Grande adds new dates and cities to The Honeymoon Tour
- 'Saturday Night Live' best host poll: The Rock flexes his comedy muscles
- Smashing Pumpkins explore PTSD in "Drum + Fife" video
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!