Based on a two-part piece in The New Yorker, this story of a child who was confined to a small room until the age of 13 is everything good journalism should be and a great deal more. Russ Rymer tells Genie’s story with all its enormous implications for developmental psychology and linguistics (when she was discovered in 1970, Genie could not speak and thus fascinated scientists investigating the origins of language) in a way that keeps the narrative moving at an impressive pace. He also has a sure but unobtrusive hand with the complicated ethical implications of Genie’s treatment by people who were sometimes as concerned with her usefulness to research as with her well-being. Genie: An Abused Child’s Flight From Silence is sure to be one of the best nonfiction books of the year. A
Genie: An Abused Child's Flight From Silence Based on a two-part piece in The New Yorker, this story of a child who was confined to a small room until the age of 13 is everything good...Genie: An Abused Child's Flight From SilenceSelf-Help and Psychology, BiographyRuss Rymer Based on a two-part piece in The New Yorker, this story of a child who was confined to a small room until the age of 13 is everything good...1993-04-16HarperCollins
Genre: Self-Help and Psychology, Biography; Author: Russ Rymer; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More