In 1946 Sidney Rittenberg became the only American ever to join the Chinese Communist Party. As he climbed through its ranks as translator and party official, he was in a unique position to observe the CCP’s astonishing military successes as well as its political contortions. A compelling storyteller, Rittenberg gives vivid accounts of everything from his first encounter with Mao Zedong (while Mao was dancing one night to ”Turkey in the Straw”) to his qualms about the Cultural Revolution in The Man Who Stayed Behind. Despite his unconvincing protestations of naiveté about party corruption, he provides valuable insights into where China’s great social experiment went wrong. A-
The Man Who Stayed Behind In 1946 Sidney Rittenberg became the only American ever to join the Chinese Communist Party. As he climbed through its ranks as translator and party...The Man Who Stayed BehindBiography, Politics and Current EventsAmanda Bennett, Sidney Rittenberg In 1946 Sidney Rittenberg became the only American ever to join the Chinese Communist Party. As he climbed through its ranks as translator and party...1993-04-23Simon & Schuster
Genre: Biography, Politics and Current Events; Author: Amanda Bennett, Sidney Rittenberg; Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Posted April 23 1993 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Empire State Building jams out to Grateful Dead with synchronized July 4 light show
- Dave Grohl's game of throne in D.C.
- Kit Harington: Buzz about long hair
- Missy Elliott takes show into the crowd at Essence Fest
- 'Jurassic World' stomps 'Terminator Genisys,' 'Magic Mike XXL' at holiday box office
- Kelly Clarkson and more top moments from 'Macy's 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular'
- Kelly Rutherford reunites with her kids
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!