In 1946 Sidney Rittenberg became the only American ever to join the Chinese Communist Party. As he climbed through its ranks as translator and party official, he was in a unique position to observe the CCP’s astonishing military successes as well as its political contortions. A compelling storyteller, Rittenberg gives vivid accounts of everything from his first encounter with Mao Zedong (while Mao was dancing one night to ”Turkey in the Straw”) to his qualms about the Cultural Revolution in The Man Who Stayed Behind. Despite his unconvincing protestations of naiveté about party corruption, he provides valuable insights into where China’s great social experiment went wrong. A-
The Man Who Stayed Behind In 1946 Sidney Rittenberg became the only American ever to join the Chinese Communist Party. As he climbed through its ranks as translator and party...The Man Who Stayed BehindBiography, Politics and Current EventsAmanda Bennett, Sidney Rittenberg In 1946 Sidney Rittenberg became the only American ever to join the Chinese Communist Party. As he climbed through its ranks as translator and party...1993-04-23Simon & Schuster
Genre: Biography, Politics and Current Events; Author: Amanda Bennett, Sidney Rittenberg; Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More