Troubling, moving, and profoundly funny, writer-actress Anna Deavere Smith’s acclaimed 1992 solo stage play, Fires in the Mirror, has been brought to television by American Playhouse. In a brisk succession of scenes, Smith portrays nearly 20 participants and observers of the 1991 riots in Brooklyn sparked by the deaths of a black child and a Hasidic scholar; her words are taken directly from interviews Smith conducted with the people she is embodying. The resulting performance, with Smith taking roles ranging from the Reverend Al Sharpton to feminist Letty Cottin Pogrebin, allows nearly every aspect of race, class, and prejudice in America to come boiling to the surface in a way television rarely permits. A
Fires in the Mirror Troubling, moving, and profoundly funny, writer-actress Anna Deavere Smith's acclaimed 1992 solo stage play, Fires in the Mirror, has...Fires in the MirrorDrama Troubling, moving, and profoundly funny, writer-actress Anna Deavere Smith's acclaimed 1992 solo stage play, Fires in the Mirror, has...1993-04-30
Genre: Drama; Starring: Anna Deavere Smith; Director: George C. Wolfe; Broadcaster: PBS
Posted April 30 1993 — 12:00 AM EDT
- How Ice Cube's son really got his breakout role in 'Straight Outta Compton'
- See EWwy campaign posters for the best comedic actor nominees
- Jason Bateman is suspicious of Joel Edgerton in exclusive clip of 'The Gift'
- 'X-Men' alum Famke Janssen joins 'How to Get Away with Murder'
- Bottoms up! Here's your 'Bachelor in Paradise' drinking game
- New Dirk Gently TV show in the works from Chronicle writer
- See Joseph Gordon-Levitt try Snapchat for the first time
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!