In Summer Gloves Pammy Outlaw is a former beauty queen who falls into one of the more painful varieties of emptiness, the kind of self-hating misery that’s easy to feel when your husband falls in love with someone else and your teenage daughter decides she can’t stand you. Moving back to New Jersey to be with her domineering mom — whom she can’t stand — Pammy pulls herself out of it, searching for emotions that aren’t as shallow as her pageant-and-crown world. Sarah Gilbert writes about Pammy’s awakening with insight and a sharply Southern sense of humor and is especially good on the subject of how scary it is to discover you’ve turned into your mother. A-
Summer Gloves In Summer Gloves Pammy Outlaw is a former beauty queen who falls into one of the more painful varieties of emptiness, the kind of...Summer GlovesFictionSarah Gilbert In Summer Gloves Pammy Outlaw is a former beauty queen who falls into one of the more painful varieties of emptiness, the kind of...1993-04-30Warner Books
Genre: Fiction; Author: Sarah Gilbert; Publisher: Warner Books
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'Criminal Minds' finale react: Another BAU member takes their leave
- Casting Net: 'Revenge' star Emily VanCamp returns for 'Captain America: Civil War'
- Jennifer Love Hewitt not returning to 'Criminal Minds': EW exclusive
- 'Kevin Hart: What Now?' and 'Barbershop 3' given 2016 release dates
- 'Mindy Project' axed at Fox; hope at Hulu?
- 'Vampire Diaries': Julie Plec on finale, Nina Dobrev farewell
- 'Last Man Standing' replaces showrunner
- Free Comic Book Day: 15 superhero must-reads
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!