In Summer Gloves Pammy Outlaw is a former beauty queen who falls into one of the more painful varieties of emptiness, the kind of self-hating misery that’s easy to feel when your husband falls in love with someone else and your teenage daughter decides she can’t stand you. Moving back to New Jersey to be with her domineering mom — whom she can’t stand — Pammy pulls herself out of it, searching for emotions that aren’t as shallow as her pageant-and-crown world. Sarah Gilbert writes about Pammy’s awakening with insight and a sharply Southern sense of humor and is especially good on the subject of how scary it is to discover you’ve turned into your mother. A-
Summer Gloves In Summer Gloves Pammy Outlaw is a former beauty queen who falls into one of the more painful varieties of emptiness, the kind of...Summer GlovesFictionSarah Gilbert In Summer Gloves Pammy Outlaw is a former beauty queen who falls into one of the more painful varieties of emptiness, the kind of...1993-04-30Warner Books
Genre: Fiction; Author: Sarah Gilbert; Publisher: Warner Books
Posted April 30 1993 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!