At best, Henry Miller didn’t take himself too seriously, but that’s what Erica Jong can’t resist doing in this earnest homage. Miller was 82 in 1974 when Jong’s Fear of Flying was making its commotion, and he wrote her an enthusiastic letter, resulting in a friendship and in more letters, reproduced in The Devil at Large: Erica Jong on Henry Miller, to which Jong adds recollections, a biographical sketch, and some solemn exhortation. It’s not that she gets Miller wrong, it’s that she asks too much of a man who was better at saving himself than saving the world. C
The Devil at Large: Erica Jong On Henry Miller At best, Henry Miller didn't take himself too seriously, but that's what Erica Jong can't resist doing in this earnest homage. Miller was 82 in 1974...The Devil at Large: Erica Jong On Henry MillerNonfiction, BiographyErica Jong At best, Henry Miller didn't take himself too seriously, but that's what Erica Jong can't resist doing in this earnest homage. Miller was 82 in 1974...1993-05-07
Genre: Nonfiction, Biography; Author: Erica Jong
Posted May 7 1993 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Bible' series won't return to NBC
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!