At best, Henry Miller didn’t take himself too seriously, but that’s what Erica Jong can’t resist doing in this earnest homage. Miller was 82 in 1974 when Jong’s Fear of Flying was making its commotion, and he wrote her an enthusiastic letter, resulting in a friendship and in more letters, reproduced in The Devil at Large: Erica Jong on Henry Miller, to which Jong adds recollections, a biographical sketch, and some solemn exhortation. It’s not that she gets Miller wrong, it’s that she asks too much of a man who was better at saving himself than saving the world. C
The Devil at Large: Erica Jong On Henry Miller At best, Henry Miller didn't take himself too seriously, but that's what Erica Jong can't resist doing in this earnest homage. Miller was 82 in 1974...The Devil at Large: Erica Jong On Henry MillerNonfiction, BiographyErica Jong At best, Henry Miller didn't take himself too seriously, but that's what Erica Jong can't resist doing in this earnest homage. Miller was 82 in 1974...1993-05-07
Genre: Nonfiction, Biography; Author: Erica Jong
Posted May 7 1993 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Evanescence's Amy Lee reveals stories behind the songs
- Cameron Dallas takes fans inside MAGCON in 'Chasing Cameron' trailer
- How Mike Birbiglia got President Obama to say 'poo'
- Pauley Perrette opens up about her recovery 1 year after attack
- 'Vampire Diaries': EP reveals one character was originally a succubus
- Abrams Books ceases publication of 'Bad Little Children's Books'
- The cast of 'Hairspray Live!' reveals bizarre pre-show rituals
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday