At best, Henry Miller didn’t take himself too seriously, but that’s what Erica Jong can’t resist doing in this earnest homage. Miller was 82 in 1974 when Jong’s Fear of Flying was making its commotion, and he wrote her an enthusiastic letter, resulting in a friendship and in more letters, reproduced in The Devil at Large: Erica Jong on Henry Miller, to which Jong adds recollections, a biographical sketch, and some solemn exhortation. It’s not that she gets Miller wrong, it’s that she asks too much of a man who was better at saving himself than saving the world. C
The Devil at Large: Erica Jong On Henry Miller At best, Henry Miller didn't take himself too seriously, but that's what Erica Jong can't resist doing in this earnest homage. Miller was 82 in 1974...The Devil at Large: Erica Jong On Henry MillerNonfiction, BiographyErica Jong At best, Henry Miller didn't take himself too seriously, but that's what Erica Jong can't resist doing in this earnest homage. Miller was 82 in 1974...1993-05-07
Genre: Nonfiction, Biography; Author: Erica Jong
Posted May 7 1993 — 12:00 AM EDT
- How the novel 'Star Wars: Aftermath' sets up 'The Force Awakens'
- The lawsuit over 'Mr. Holmes' has been settled, attorney says
- Kristen Bell’s gift to Dax Shepard makes us all miss 'Parenthood'
- Casting Net: Jason Momoa to star in lumberjack thriller Braven
- Brad Paisley gets ready for football season with 'Country Nation' video
- Selena Gomez is officially in 'Neighbors 2'
- Interracial family comedy in the works at NBC, from Parks and Recreation pair
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!