At best, Henry Miller didn’t take himself too seriously, but that’s what Erica Jong can’t resist doing in this earnest homage. Miller was 82 in 1974 when Jong’s Fear of Flying was making its commotion, and he wrote her an enthusiastic letter, resulting in a friendship and in more letters, reproduced in The Devil at Large: Erica Jong on Henry Miller, to which Jong adds recollections, a biographical sketch, and some solemn exhortation. It’s not that she gets Miller wrong, it’s that she asks too much of a man who was better at saving himself than saving the world. C
The Devil at Large: Erica Jong On Henry Miller At best, Henry Miller didn't take himself too seriously, but that's what Erica Jong can't resist doing in this earnest homage. Miller was 82 in 1974...The Devil at Large: Erica Jong On Henry MillerNonfiction, BiographyErica Jong At best, Henry Miller didn't take himself too seriously, but that's what Erica Jong can't resist doing in this earnest homage. Miller was 82 in 1974...1993-05-07
Genre: Nonfiction, Biography; Author: Erica Jong
Posted May 7 1993 — 12:00 AM EDT
- New 'Bourne' film recruits Tommy Lee Jones
- Bryan Cranston and Helen Mirren tangle in new photo from 'Trumbo'
- Meet the four real-life Jerry Maguires on 'The Agent' — EXCLUSIVE
- 'Thrones' actor on new show: 'We don't need dragons. We got cocaine!'
- David Spade: 'Fameless' isn't mean-spirited — the contestants are too 'thirsty'
- 'Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp': On the set of the prequel
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!