MADE IN AMERICA (PG-13) A rattletrap vehicle-but Whoopi Goldberg and Ted Danson gaze at each other with such wanton goo-goo eyes that the screen just about glows. The first half hour, in which Afrocentric single mom Sarah Matthews (Goldberg) learns that her visit to a sperm bank 18 years ago resulted in her being impregnated by a shamelessly vulgar, good-ol’-boy car salesman (Danson), plays like the pilot for a sitcom you’d never want to see. After a while, the garish jokes about masturbation and TV advertising give way to a connect-the-dots interracial love affair; you can feel every dumb twist coming 20 minutes ahead of time. Yet damned if Goldberg and Danson don’t have a loosey-goosey charm. The movie is a crock, but an oddly zesty one-a crock spilling over with hormones. C+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Ted Danson, Whoopi Goldberg, Nia Long, Will Smith, Paul Rodriguez, Jennifer Tilly; Director: Richard Benjamin; Producer (person): Michael Douglas; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted June 18 1993 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Mad Max' collector's edition Blu-ray: Exclusive release details
- Creators Robert and Michelle King talk 'The Good Wife' return
- Missy Elliott and Pharrell are in the studio together
- See Eddie Redmayne in his next big role as Lili Elbe in The Danish Girl
- Carlton Cuse looks back on his long and unique career
- Kanye apology to Beck, Bruno Mars
- Carly Rae Jepsen returns with 'I Really Like You'--and Tom Hanks?!
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!