Dashing actor.War hero. Prolific porno novelist. Alcoholic angora fetishist. But what really makes cult director Edward D. Wood Jr. so special? Answer: He’s the subject of Tim Burton’s upcoming film, an $18 million biopic for Disney that will likely star Johnny Depp as the cross-dressing creator of such epics as Glen or Glenda (1953) and The Sinister Urge (1960). Wood, who died in 1978, had his career goosed posthumously in 1980 when he was named Worst Director of All Time by Harry and Michael Medved in their book The Golden Turkey Awards. Burton’s film (due in 1994) is just the latest chapter in a Wood revival: Last year saw the release of Nightmare of Ecstasy, Rudolph Grey’s biography; and in March, Flying Saucers Over Hollywood, a documentary on the making of Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959), Wood’s most notorious cinematic endeavor, was released on video. ”I don’t know why I love misguided passion so much,” Burton says. ”(When people like Wood are) trying quite hard, but they just don’t get it.”
Posted June 25 1993 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Julian Casablancas and The Voidz release 'Human Sadness' video
- Robert Rodriguez signs on to direct 'Johnny Quest'
- 'A Walk In The Woods' trailer: Watch Robert Redford, Nick Nolte hike the Appalachian Trail
- Gloria Steinem's 'My Life on the Road' to hit shelves in October
- Watch Jason Segel channel David Foster Wallace in The End of the Tour trailer
- The Weeknd lives through a car crash in 'The Hills' video
- Vanessa Bayer, Fred Armisen, more appear in new Jenny Lewis video
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Lady Gaga, The Rock, Demi Lovato & More!