PETER’S FRIENDS Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thompson (1992, HBO, R, $92.99) Schematic and forced, director Branagh’s British Big Chill brings together a few old friends at an English country house for a few days of revelations and unhappiness-and few surprises. Branagh plays a sell-out writer who has married an airhead TV star (Rita Rudner), and Thompson is a frumpy publishing type determined to make an honest man of the host, Peter (Stephen Fry), who drops a whopper on New Year’s Eve. Add a warring couple and a romance addict and her married boyfriend and what you have is an estate of fools. The film’s Hollywood mentality is the very kind it pretends to satirize. C- -Lawrence O’Toole
Peter's Friends PETER'S FRIENDS Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thompson (1992, HBO, R, $92.99) Schematic and forced, director Branagh's British Big Chill brings together a few...Peter's FriendsComedyR PETER'S FRIENDS Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thompson (1992, HBO, R, $92.99) Schematic and forced, director Branagh's British Big Chill brings together a few...1993-07-09
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thompson; MPAA Rating: R
Posted July 9 1993 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!