Aimed at kids, roundhouse (Nickelodeon, July 10, 8:30-9 p.m.) is really an old-fashioned variety show with a cool attitude. Cocreator and executive producer Buddy Sheffield (In Living Color) keeps the exceptionally talented 11-person cast in constant motion on a single soundstage; one sketch blends into another, which can metamorphose in seconds into a full-blown musical number. Watching Roundhouse-which recently began its second season-is like seeing all the high points of a smash Broadway show in half an hour. A few minor but significant reservations. There tends to be so much crass body-parts humor that I’m loath to let my preadolescent kids watch it. And in general, the series gives off an air of jaded media knowingness that doesn’t quite, um, square with its otherwise bright, upbeat attitude. This week’s show has some shrewd, sensible things to say about divorce. While I wouldn’t want to instill jealousy among the ensemble cast, I’ll single out Julene Renee and Ivan Dudynsky as Round-house’s most versatile stars-in- the-making. If you don’t think kids work hard anymore, check out these performers. B+
Roundhouse Aimed at kids, roundhouse (Nickelodeon, July 10, 8:30-9 p.m.) is really an old-fashioned variety show with a cool attitude. Cocreator and executive...RoundhouseComedy Aimed at kids, roundhouse (Nickelodeon, July 10, 8:30-9 p.m.) is really an old-fashioned variety show with a cool attitude. Cocreator and executive...1993-07-09
Genre: Comedy; Status: In Season
Posted July 9 1993 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jason Clarke prepares the team for the journey ahead in 'Everest' clip
- R. Kelly says he wrote 462 songs for his new album, and they're all hits
- 'Vampire Diaries' cast recalls what it was like working with Nina Dobrev
- The best VMA moments, according to Facebook
- Dylan's Candy Bar is celebrating 'Mean Girls' with themed candy
- 11 outrageous moments from Miley Cyrus' surprise album
- 'Faking It' season 2B supertease: Karma and Amy pretend to be a couple again — exclusive
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!