When Clint Black jumped out of the box with Killin’ Time in 1989, he looked as if he’d soon own the store. He was the premier hat act, with good looks, terrific neotraditional songs about calloused factory workers and bruised lovers, and a pure Texas tenor that broke in all the right places. But that was before Garth Brooks and all the other go-for-broke cowpokes. Now the title of his fourth album, No Time to Kill (RCA), a play on the name of his first, * says it all-where Black once had time to waste, he knows the gig is almost up. As on his last record, the singer turns in a polished performance, but his voice sounds tired and thin-and he’s obviously too exhausted even to write a solid hit. Furthermore, the joyful buoyancy that marked his early records is nearly nonexistent. But then so is any strong emotion-even his country-pop duet with Wynonna, ”A Bad Goodbye,” is strangely devoid of passion. At this rate, Black might title his next album No Wonder They Killed Me. C+
No Time to Kill When Clint Black jumped out of the box with Killin' Time in 1989, he looked as if he'd soon own the store. He was the premier hat act, with good looks,...No Time to KillCountry When Clint Black jumped out of the box with Killin' Time in 1989, he looked as if he'd soon own the store. He was the premier hat act, with good looks,...1993-07-16
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Clint Black
Posted July 16 1993 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jeff Probst reveals the players he's surprised got voted into 'Survivor'
- Michael Jordan's 'Space Jam' uniform heading for auction
- Get lost in Hippo Campus' new tune 'The Halocline'
- Nicki Minaj and Taylor Swift continued their VMAs love fest on Twitter
- Lena Dunham publishes first short story in newsletter's fiction issue
- Jewel moves forward by looking back on 'Picking Up The Pieces'
- Edgar Wright pays tribute to Wes Craven
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!