When Clint Black jumped out of the box with Killin’ Time in 1989, he looked as if he’d soon own the store. He was the premier hat act, with good looks, terrific neotraditional songs about calloused factory workers and bruised lovers, and a pure Texas tenor that broke in all the right places. But that was before Garth Brooks and all the other go-for-broke cowpokes. Now the title of his fourth album, No Time to Kill (RCA), a play on the name of his first, * says it all-where Black once had time to waste, he knows the gig is almost up. As on his last record, the singer turns in a polished performance, but his voice sounds tired and thin-and he’s obviously too exhausted even to write a solid hit. Furthermore, the joyful buoyancy that marked his early records is nearly nonexistent. But then so is any strong emotion-even his country-pop duet with Wynonna, ”A Bad Goodbye,” is strangely devoid of passion. At this rate, Black might title his next album No Wonder They Killed Me. C+
No Time to Kill When Clint Black jumped out of the box with Killin' Time in 1989, he looked as if he'd soon own the store. He was the premier hat act, with good looks,...No Time to KillCountry When Clint Black jumped out of the box with Killin' Time in 1989, he looked as if he'd soon own the store. He was the premier hat act, with good looks,...1993-07-16
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Clint Black
Posted July 16 1993 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Robert De Niro's 'The Comedian' finds a new director
- Who should play the young Han Solo in the 'Star Wars' spinoff? Vote now!
- Elodie Yung cast as Elektra in 'Daredevil' season 2
- Two more networks pull Bill Cosby reruns
- Subway drops Jared Fogle amid FBI investigation
- Grateful Dead's farewell shows earned estimated $55 million
- Go inside the studio with Janet Jackson in her lyric video for 'No Sleeep'
- They look like THAT now? See some of the latest child stars all grown up
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!