When Clint Black jumped out of the box with Killin’ Time in 1989, he looked as if he’d soon own the store. He was the premier hat act, with good looks, terrific neotraditional songs about calloused factory workers and bruised lovers, and a pure Texas tenor that broke in all the right places. But that was before Garth Brooks and all the other go-for-broke cowpokes. Now the title of his fourth album, No Time to Kill (RCA), a play on the name of his first, * says it all-where Black once had time to waste, he knows the gig is almost up. As on his last record, the singer turns in a polished performance, but his voice sounds tired and thin-and he’s obviously too exhausted even to write a solid hit. Furthermore, the joyful buoyancy that marked his early records is nearly nonexistent. But then so is any strong emotion-even his country-pop duet with Wynonna, ”A Bad Goodbye,” is strangely devoid of passion. At this rate, Black might title his next album No Wonder They Killed Me. C+
No Time to Kill When Clint Black jumped out of the box with Killin' Time in 1989, he looked as if he'd soon own the store. He was the premier hat act, with good looks,...No Time to KillCountry When Clint Black jumped out of the box with Killin' Time in 1989, he looked as if he'd soon own the store. He was the premier hat act, with good looks,...1993-07-16
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Clint Black
Posted July 16 1993 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Star Wars' to screen in China for first time ever
- Art Garfunkel dings Paul Simon in new interview
- Dust off your crayons: Adult coloring books are here
- Sarah Michelle Gellar and Alyson Hannigan had a 'Buffy' reunion
- Chris Pratt on being a sex symbol: 'Before, I was the sweaty guy who didn't give a s---'
- Munich Film Festival to honor Alexander Payne with retrospective
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!