What is Julia Roberts’ connection with the soaps? Well, for one thing, one of the bridesmaids at her wedding to Lyle Lovett was Deborah Goodrich Porter, who played Connie on All My Children from 1982 to ‘83. Here’s a better tip, though: Roberts is a soap reject. In 1984, when the Pretty Woman was still a 17-year-old unemployed actress, she read for the part of AMC’s Linda Warner, who was eventually murdered. But Roberts lost out to Melissa Leo, now of Homicide. Joan D’Incecco, then AMC’s casting director, says, ”People always ask me, ‘You mean you could have hired Julia Roberts! Why didn’t you?’ All I can say is, I knew she had a special, exotic quality, but she wasn’t right for the part. She was just a baby.” D’Incecco, who did help launch the careers of such stars as Tom Berenger and Judith Light, asserts that ”timing is important. It’s not like she was Julia Roberts then.”
Posted July 30 1993 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Drake is releasing more new music in December
- Charlie Puth cancels remainder of tour due to sickness
- Universal Studios Japan is getting an entire 'Minions'-themed area
- President Obama dances to 'Hotline Bling' with Usher, Janelle Monáe
- Bradley Cooper visited Lady Gaga on the set of 'Saturday Night Live'
- Viola Davis to campaign in supporting actress category for 'Fences'
- DJ Khaled documented his son's birth on Snapchat