What is Julia Roberts’ connection with the soaps? Well, for one thing, one of the bridesmaids at her wedding to Lyle Lovett was Deborah Goodrich Porter, who played Connie on All My Children from 1982 to ‘83. Here’s a better tip, though: Roberts is a soap reject. In 1984, when the Pretty Woman was still a 17-year-old unemployed actress, she read for the part of AMC’s Linda Warner, who was eventually murdered. But Roberts lost out to Melissa Leo, now of Homicide. Joan D’Incecco, then AMC’s casting director, says, ”People always ask me, ‘You mean you could have hired Julia Roberts! Why didn’t you?’ All I can say is, I knew she had a special, exotic quality, but she wasn’t right for the part. She was just a baby.” D’Incecco, who did help launch the careers of such stars as Tom Berenger and Judith Light, asserts that ”timing is important. It’s not like she was Julia Roberts then.”
Posted July 30 1993 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: James Marsden, Rosario Dawson, more lend voices to 'Henchmen'
- From People: Bruce Jenner to pose as woman for 'Vanity Fair' cover
- Judy Greer and Nat Faxon preview 'Married' season 2
- Universal TV to adapt 'The Wicked + The Divine' comic for TV
- I'm not buying Emma Stone as an Asian-American in 'Aloha'
- Iggy Azalea cancels tour
- Marvel contest gives teen girls the chance to attend 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- Cruel Intentions Reunion, Kim Kardashian, Soleil & Demi and More!