What is Julia Roberts’ connection with the soaps? Well, for one thing, one of the bridesmaids at her wedding to Lyle Lovett was Deborah Goodrich Porter, who played Connie on All My Children from 1982 to ‘83. Here’s a better tip, though: Roberts is a soap reject. In 1984, when the Pretty Woman was still a 17-year-old unemployed actress, she read for the part of AMC’s Linda Warner, who was eventually murdered. But Roberts lost out to Melissa Leo, now of Homicide. Joan D’Incecco, then AMC’s casting director, says, ”People always ask me, ‘You mean you could have hired Julia Roberts! Why didn’t you?’ All I can say is, I knew she had a special, exotic quality, but she wasn’t right for the part. She was just a baby.” D’Incecco, who did help launch the careers of such stars as Tom Berenger and Judith Light, asserts that ”timing is important. It’s not like she was Julia Roberts then.”
Posted July 30 1993 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kanye West to perform '808s & Heartbreak' in full at Hollywood Bowl
- 5 shows to watch now that 'Hannibal' is over
- Taylor Swift and Avril Lavigne performed 'Complicated' on 1989 tour
- 'Survivor' players on the most shameless thing they did for fan votes
- Hugh Dancy explains that shocking 'Hannibal' series finale
- 'Hannibal' music supervisor on working with Siouxsie Sioux for the finale's song
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!