Call it the asexual revolution. Now that MTV symbols like Madonna have shown us everything we didn’t want to know about sex, indie rock vet Juliana Hatfield, 26, has assumed the one really radical position left. Her shtick is not about being like a virgin, but literally being one. Her second solo album, Become What You Are, prickles with tension-sans-relief masterpieces that testify there’s no such thing as just saying no. Pummeling the craftiest grunge guitar east of the Rockies, Hatfield turns pop’s love and narrative conventions upside down, from the disappointment of ”President Garfield,” a thinly veiled dig at her former punk idol Henry Rollins, to the ambivalence of ”Spin the Bottle,” in which she ponders the consequences of spending five minutes alone with an actor who’s ”in really stupid movies — it’s not his fault.” There are also startlingly infectious encounters with anorexia (”Addicted”) and anger (”A Dame With a Rod”). Despite Hatfield’s somewhat one-dimensionally precious vocals, this is one dame who, with or without a rod, deserves a bullet. A-
Become What You AreCall it the asexual revolution. Now that MTV symbols like Madonna have shown us everything we didn't want to know about sex, indie rock vet Juliana...Become What You AreRockCall it the asexual revolution. Now that MTV symbols like Madonna have shown us everything we didn't want to know about sex, indie rock vet Juliana...1993-08-06
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: Juliana Hatfield; Producer (group): Atlantic, Mammoth
Posted August 6 1993 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Prince announces three-day Labor Day party ahead of album release
- ABC Family's 13 Nights of Halloween: Who's joining Harry Potter and Batman?
- Christian Slater weighs in on 'Mr. Robot' twist and season finale
- 'Mr. Robot' finale postmortem: Creator Sam Esmail answers burning questions
- 'iZombie' season 2 trailer teases what (or who) is on the menu for Liv Moore
- Casting Net: Mad Men star Jessica Pare cast in Lovesick
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' star Amanda Peterson's cause of death was an overdose
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!