Who said pop culture isn’t educational? Instead of letting the lazy, hazy days of summer turn our minds to mush, we took note and discovered — frankly, to our amazement — that entertainment proves highly informative. By the time Christmas rolls around, we’ll be Ph.D. candidates. What we now know:
1. Arnold is fallible. (Last Action Hero)
2. You can’t fly less than 24 hours after scuba diving (The Firm)
3. The chaos theory means that even tiny changes in nature can have enormous consequences. (Jurassic Park)
4. There are calls even the government can’t trace. (In the Line of Fire)
5. Not all Saturday Night Live sketches will become hugely successful movies. (The Coneheads)
6. In the years since his stint as a Not-Ready-for-Prime-Time player on SNL, Dan Aykroyd has consumed mass quantities. (The Coneheads)
7. Truth is stranger than fiction. (Julia Roberts weds Lyle Lovett)
8. Movie soundtracks (Sliver, Poetic Justice, Sleepless in Seattle) are often better than the movies themselves.
9. It’s possible to juggle a working chain saw in one hand and an apple in the other. (Lollapalooza)
10. ”Unplugged” has become just another shameless marketing move.
11. Whitney Houston still has the most inane stage patter on the planet.
12. You can launder large sums of money in the Cayman Islands. (The Firm)
13. Nihilism is cool. (Beavis and Butt-head)
14. A little girl named Heidi can make a name for herself in a man’s world.
15. Tom Cruise is infallible.