As pretty as James Dean holograms, the hunky stars of Beverly Hills, 90210 lack the charismatic heft necessary to register on the big screen. Luke Perry barely reflected light in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and now Jason Priestly — the more talented of the two — leers innocuously and tilts his beautiful eyebrows in this synthetic piffle about a trio of teens who drive to L.A. in 1962 to get a date with Marilyn Monroe. Calendar Girl revives the voyeuristic smarminess of early-’80s spring-break comedies, only here, with a PG-13 rating and the obligatory period hits on the soundtrack (some of which didn’t actually come out until later in the ’60s), an attempt has been made to pass it off as soulful nostalgia. Is anything more depressing than sanitized exploitation. D
Calendar GirlAs pretty as James Dean holograms, the hunky stars of Beverly Hills, 90210 lack the charismatic heft necessary to register on the big screen....Calendar GirlComedy, DramaPG-13As pretty as James Dean holograms, the hunky stars of Beverly Hills, 90210 lack the charismatic heft necessary to register on the big screen....1993-09-10
Genre: Comedy, Drama; Starring: Luke Perry, Jason Priestley; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted September 10 1993 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 5 best non-singles from Kanye West's 'Late Registration' on its 10th anniversary
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- See the Foo Fighters rock out with Blues Traveler's John Popper
- Hootie explains how he got name-checked in 'Mo Money Mo Problems'
- 9 little-known facts about Rihanna's first album
- Faith-based drama in tight race with 'Straight Outta Compton' at box office
- Liam Payne turns 22! See his most GIF-able moments
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!