”A few years ago, signing with a major label like this probablywould have been a suicidal move,” says Greg Graffin, 29, lead singerfor the formerly underground hardcore band Bad Religion. But oh, howtimes change. This past August, the five-man outfit, noted for itsmelodic and intelligent brand of thrash, signed with AtlanticRecords, thus ending 13 years as a critically acclaimed indie act onits self-owned Epitaph label. And in September, Atlantic re-releasedthe band’s Recipe for Hate, a hit by indie standards (150,000 copiessold), featuring the single ”American Jesus”-guest-starring one EddieVedder on backing vocals.Vedder and other like-minded, mainstream-loathing rockers havebeen getting Religion since the early ’80s, when the punk act waslaunched out of a suburban garage in L.A.’s San Fernando Valley. ButGraffin and the band were wary of moving into the land of corporaterock until recent breakthroughs by other alternative acts likeNirvana, Jane’s Addiction, and Soul Asylum made major-label watersless alienating. ”Thanks to those bands, the majors are moresophisticated about this type of music, so there’s less of a chanceof us destroying our careers,” says Graffin.Religion will do five albums for Atlantic, but don’t expect anydetours from their high-volume, low-maintenance sound when thequintet returns to the studio next spring. Recipe for Hate wasrecorded in a brisk three weeks for a puny $50,000. This time ”thebudget will be bigger,” says Graffin. ”But they can’t make us useit.” And if this foray into the major leagues doesn’t work? ”We canalways go back to Epitaph, so it’s not so big a risk.” Maybe not, butGraffin will play it safe and continue to work toward his doctoratein vertebrate paleontology (read: dinosaurs) at Cornell University.
Posted October 29 1993 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Fifth Harmony's 'Work from Home' is YouTube's top music video of 2016
- 'Yours Mine or Ours' host spills on great wines to give and get this holiday
- 2016 Critics' Choice Awards: Who should win best actress?
- Johnny Depp leads Forbes list of most overpaid actors (again)
- 'La La Land' exclusive: Hear a pair of gorgeous tracks from the movie
- How they shot the first-person X-wing battle in 'Rogue One'
- 'Ink Master' crowns first ever female winner after 8 seasons
- 17 Star-Studded Celebrity Cookbooks
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2016: See Photos From the Catwalk
- Books Gift Guide 2016: 31 Books For Your Wish List
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem